EMI - voltage across Inductor

In summary: Well, you can think that in case the opposite were true, and positive electromotive force were induced by a changing current, the induced emf would rise the current even more in a circuit and the circuit would blow away. If such law existed in the history of the universe in some world, that world would not have been stable and can not exist now.
cupid.callin

Homework Statement

suppose there is a inductor connected to a battery and resistor in series ...

i need to find the current in circuit at some time t
i suppose i could use Kirchhoff's loop law but i don't know weather to take potential across inductor (L di/dt) as positive or negative.
i suppose i should use it as negative because it is opposing the emf of battery but i am not sure

but this thing will not work in case of discharging LR circuit ... some help please ... ... ... ...

Physics news on Phys.org
cupid.callin said:

Homework Statement

suppose there is a inductor connected to a battery and resistor in series ...

i need to find the current in circuit at some time t
i suppose i could use Kirchhoff's loop law but i don't know weather to take potential across inductor (L di/dt) as positive or negative.
i suppose i should use it as negative because it is opposing the emf of battery but i am not sure

but this thing will not work in case of discharging LR circuit ... some help please ... ... ... ...
You can figure this out. :smile:

Suppose there is no initial current. In other words, suppose the circuit is such that at time t = 0, the circuit is closed and i0 = 0 (at that instant in time).

Now sum the voltages all the way around in a loop. You'll have to calculate the voltage drop across R, but that should be pretty easy since at this instant in time, i = 0. Then note that the sum of all the voltage drops, all the way around the loop should equal zero, per one of Kirchhoff's laws.

So what polarity does the voltage across the inductor have to be to insure that Kirchhoff's law(s) are satisfied?

cupid.callin said:
i don't know weather to take potential across inductor (L di/dt) as positive or negative.

The potential refers to a point. Potential difference is "across".
In an inductor, an is emf induced due to changing current. It is -L dI/dt. You can consider it as an additional voltage source that has opposite sign as that of the "real" source.

ehild

collinsmark said:
You can figure this out. :smile:

Suppose there is no initial current. In other words, suppose the circuit is such that at time t = 0, the circuit is closed and i0 = 0 (at that instant in time).

Now sum the voltages all the way around in a loop. You'll have to calculate the voltage drop across R, but that should be pretty easy since at this instant in time, i = 0. Then note that the sum of all the voltage drops, all the way around the loop should equal zero, per one of Kirchhoff's laws.

So what polarity does the voltage across the inductor have to be to insure that Kirchhoff's law(s) are satisfied?

ehild said:
The potential refers to a point. Potential difference is "across".
In an inductor, an is emf induced due to changing current. It is -L dI/dt. You can consider it as an additional voltage source that has opposite sign as that of the "real" source.

ehild

i can do this to find the sign but i need the reason that why is sign like that ...

and sorry for late reply ...

It is the consequence of Maxwell's laws. They are the fundamental laws of electrodynamics, based on experimental facts. You cannot ask, why.

ehild

why not ... everything in physics has a reason ,,, weather we know it or not

Well, you can think that in case the opposite were true, and positive electromotive force were induced by a changing current, the induced emf would rise the current even more in a circuit and the circuit would blow away. If such law existed in the history of the universe in some world, that world would not have been stable and can not exist now.

ehild

1. What is EMI?

EMI stands for electromagnetic interference, which is a disturbance in the electromagnetic field that can affect the performance of electronic devices.

2. What causes EMI?

EMI can be caused by various factors, such as electromagnetic radiation from other electronic devices, power surges, and lightning strikes.

3. How does EMI affect the voltage across an inductor?

EMI can cause fluctuations in the voltage across an inductor, leading to potential damage or malfunction of the electronic circuit.

4. How can EMI be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce EMI, including using shielding materials, adding filters to the circuit, and grounding the electronic device.

5. Why is it important to consider EMI in electronic design?

EMI can cause interference and disrupt the functioning of electronic devices, leading to errors, malfunctions, and potential safety hazards. Therefore, it is crucial to consider EMI in electronic design to ensure proper functioning and reliability of the device.