Find Physics Books for Intuitive Problem Solving

• Thread starter ran13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Serway/Jewett's Physics for Scientists and Engineers, with one person finding it too conceptual and another recommending it as worth the effort. Other books were suggested for a better balance between theoretical and conceptual, including Kleppner & Kolenkow's mechanics book and Purcell's book on electricity and magnetism. The importance of practicing problem solving was also emphasized, as well as checking out other resources like Walter Lewin's lectures and Feynman's lectures for a more intuitive approach to physics.
ran13
I currently use Serway/Jewett's Physics for Scientists and Engineers, I find it too conceptual and definition-oriented as opposed to explanatory. Since this is such a widely used text, I may just be terrible at picking up physics, but my main beef with the book is that it makes it hard for me to see physics as intuitive. I find myself at a loss on how to approach problems in general because I've basically just memorized a few things here and there, and don't have a solid foundation/intuition that helps me set up a problem or at least enough confidence to throw some ideas about whatever physics scenario I'm given, a skill I think I should have by now.

So onto my actual question. Are there any other books you would recommend for calc-based general physics that have a good balance between theoretical and conceptual? Especially for electricity, magnetism, and related concepts? I've taken up to Calc II and am taking multi and diff eq now if that helps. Even problem solving or related math texts, if you feel they are good. I do have Klepner/Kolenkow's mechanics book, but I find that from Serway to this, it's taken a while for me to hack through the book. Any advice is much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
This isn't a book but walter lewins lectures on Mechanics and Electricity and magnetism are really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T0DD9KilmM&feature=relmfu

I've been trying to watch all his lectures and taking notes here and there. I think I need a little more content though, but thanks for the suggestion.

I would stick with Serway. It's really worth the effort and every intro to calc based physics is basically the same. I don't understand how you can find a book too much about concepts and then say that it's not intuitive enough.

I hate Serway with a passion. It feels like an advanced high school course. For a mechanics course, I'd highly recommend Kleppner and Kolenkow. For Electricity and Magnetism you cannot do better than Purcell.

Sounds like you need more practice solving problems - supplement Serway/Jewett with the appropriate Schaum books. By solving lots of different problems you should eventually be able to develop the intuition to deal with any physics scenario you are given - at least at the level of Serway/Jewett!

Kleppner & Kolenkow and Purcell might be quite advanced for someone just starting with calculus-based physics, and they are not the long-winded-with-full-of-explanation-and-intuitive-insight type either. If you like explanatory / intuitive approach, take Feymann's as a reference. Only as a reference, if you really like physics.
At introductory level, I would say it's a pain that not many textbooks have that intuitive insights that most of the time, you have to struggle to figure out yourself. Then if you want to check your understanding with rigorous mathematics, Kleppner & Kolenkow is a good choice.

I'd recommend Cutnell and Johnson if you are struggling with Serway. But get it out of the library and just read the sections you are having difficulty with. It's more of an introduction to the introduction tos.

You'll come to love Seway in time, nearly everyone does. Do read around though, sometimes you just need that "click" to happen for everything to make sense.

Electro-mag is one of those that's difficult to grasp from the beginning.
Grant and Phillips: Electromagnetism would be my favourite

ParticleGrl said:
I hate Serway with a passion. It feels like an advanced high school course. For a mechanics course, I'd highly recommend Kleppner and Kolenkow. For Electricity and Magnetism you cannot do better than Purcell.

Thanks, I'll check out Purcell then.

mal4mac said:
Sounds like you need more practice solving problems - supplement Serway/Jewett with the appropriate Schaum books. By solving lots of different problems you should eventually be able to develop the intuition to deal with any physics scenario you are given - at least at the level of Serway/Jewett!

I agree, that's part of it too. I have a Schaum book and I'm gradually working my way through their problems. Thanks!

Smiles302 said:
I'd recommend Cutnell and Johnson if you are struggling with Serway. But get it out of the library and just read the sections you are having difficulty with. It's more of an introduction to the introduction tos.

You'll come to love Seway in time, nearly everyone does. Do read around though, sometimes you just need that "click" to happen for everything to make sense.

Electro-mag is one of those that's difficult to grasp from the beginning.
Grant and Phillips: Electromagnetism would be my favourite

Thanks, I'll check those out.

hikaru1221 said:
Kleppner & Kolenkow and Purcell might be quite advanced for someone just starting with calculus-based physics, and they are not the long-winded-with-full-of-explanation-and-intuitive-insight type either. If you like explanatory / intuitive approach, take Feymann's as a reference. Only as a reference, if you really like physics.
At introductory level, I would say it's a pain that not many textbooks have that intuitive insights that most of the time, you have to struggle to figure out yourself. Then if you want to check your understanding with rigorous mathematics, Kleppner & Kolenkow is a good choice.

I find that to be the problem too... it's necessary to hack the math and memorize definitions, I know, but I feel like at this point, Serway isn't giving me anything beyond that. I'm interested enough to want to have a solid understanding of what I'm learning since I want to take some upper div courses in physics as well. I've been interested in Feynman's lectures for a while now too, so I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

1. How can I find physics books for intuitive problem solving?

To find physics books for intuitive problem solving, you can start by searching online book retailers such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble. You can also search for books in your local library or university library. Additionally, you can ask for recommendations from fellow scientists or physics teachers.

2. What are the key features to look for in a physics book for intuitive problem solving?

The key features to look for in a physics book for intuitive problem solving include clear explanations, relevant and challenging problems, and real-world applications. The book should also have a strong focus on problem-solving techniques and strategies.

3. Are there specific authors or publishers known for producing physics books for intuitive problem solving?

Yes, some popular authors and publishers known for producing physics books for intuitive problem solving include Richard Feynman, David Griffiths, and John Wiley & Sons. However, it is important to also read reviews and compare different books to find the best fit for your learning style.

4. Can I use physics books for intuitive problem solving even if I am not a physics major?

Absolutely! Physics books for intuitive problem solving can be beneficial for anyone looking to improve their problem-solving skills and gain a deeper understanding of the subject. These books often use real-world examples and applications, making them accessible to a wider audience.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can supplement physics books for intuitive problem solving?

Yes, there are several online resources and tools that can supplement physics books for intuitive problem solving. Some examples include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and online problem-solving forums. These resources can provide additional practice problems, explanations, and discussions to enhance your learning experience.