Can 18M Hydrochloric Acid Cause Permanent Skin Damage?

• Thread starter Eggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential damage that can occur from exposure to 18 mol/L HCl(aq) on the skin. The participants share personal experiences and mention the possibility of burns and corrosion. They also caution against experimenting with high concentrations of HCl and stress the importance of safety precautions.
Eggs
Just a question that is been nagging me for a long time... if a person were to put 18 mol/L HCL(aq) on your skin what kind of damage would there be? weither it be short term effects, long term effects, or just general damage? Replys are welcome :P

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
If HCl is strong enough, i believe it can corrode/eat through your skin. Not sure if 18 mol is enough to cause that but i would certainly never ever try it.

i got some concentrated HCl on my hand once.
Was working in the lab and i guess i spilled a little on the table.

I kept my cool and washed & washed it for Fifteen minutes under cool water.

Initally there my skin turned spongy where i had brushed against it.

But after washing it , it turned out ok , with no scar .

Alas, alack, poor Joe
His voice we'll here no more
For what he took for H2O
Was H2SO4

I understand that they're much like regular burns (first, second, third degree). I spilled sulphuric acid on my hands once while changing a car battery once, and it stung a fair bit (less so after flushing it for the 5 minutes or so). I recall it being red and sore for a day or two.

The Wikipedia has some more commentary, along with possibly not-safe-for-lunch pictures:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_burn

18M is about as much as HCl can get in normal circumstances. 1M is relatively safe - at the time I started my first experiments I dealt with it on many occasions and things like rubber gloves were about as real as Santa Claus, so I got in on my skin many times. Can't say I was always fast to wash my hands after that, I had never any problems. But that was with 1M solution, not stronger.

I am not writing it to tell anyone to ignore safety precautions, I was young, stupid and lucky. Now I am only stupid :grumpy:

What is hydrochloric acid?

Hydrochloric acid is a strong, clear, corrosive liquid that is commonly used in industrial and laboratory settings. It is also naturally produced in the human stomach to aid in digestion.

What are the uses of hydrochloric acid?

Hydrochloric acid is used in a variety of industries for tasks such as metal cleaning, ore processing, and food production. It is also used in the production of household cleaners and in the treatment of water and sewage.

Is hydrochloric acid dangerous?

Hydrochloric acid is a highly corrosive substance and can cause burns if it comes into contact with skin or eyes. It is important to handle it with caution and use proper protective equipment when working with it.

How is hydrochloric acid harmful to the environment?

If released into the environment, hydrochloric acid can be harmful to plants and animals. It can also contribute to air pollution and acid rain. Proper disposal and handling of hydrochloric acid is essential to prevent these negative impacts.

What safety precautions should be taken when handling hydrochloric acid?

When working with hydrochloric acid, it is important to wear gloves, eye protection, and a respirator mask. It should also be stored in a well-ventilated area and properly labeled. In case of skin contact, the affected area should be rinsed with water immediately.