Calculate the energy associated with the magnetic field of a solenoid

In summary: The inductance L can be a difficult quantity to evaluate precisely. The formula you've given is only valid for the case of a uniform field, but in general, the field strength (and thus the energy) varies along the length of the solenoid. To evaluate L, you need to know B along the length of the solenoid. In summary, the energy associated with the magnetic field of a 191-turn solenoid with a current of 1.37 A and a magnetic flux of 3.52 10-4 T · m2 in each turn is given by W=½I2L, where L is the inductance of the solenoid and can be calculated using the formula L=\frac
figureskater

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy associated with the magnetic field of a 191-turn solenoid in which a current of 1.37 A produces a magnetic flux of 3.52 10-4 T · m2 in each turn.
mJ

uo=4pie x10^-7

Homework Equations

ub=B^2/2uo(the constant)
U=1/2LI^2

The Attempt at a Solution

ub=(3.52x10^-4)^2/2(4piex10^-7)

I tried this and the answer i got 49.29mJ was incorrect. Not sure if I am missing something or using the incorrect formula here. Its due Tuesday March 27 by midnight thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not 100% sure
but I think the formula you're missing here is the one for inductance:

[tex]L=\frac{N\Phi_B}{i}[/tex]

An interesting question. How does one unambiguously measure the energy of a magnetic field that is first zero valued before the current is turned on at time t0? The field then expands at the speed of light. Wouldn't it have less energy at time t1>t0 than at time t=infinity as it fills all space?

"...Wouldn't it have less energy at time t1>t0 than at time t=infinity as it fills all space? "

I don't believe it fills all space. I think the field is limited to the area where the field lines are able to be fully realized. When the lines are broken, the field is at the end of it's limits.

Not in general, but but any case, the Energy of a solenoid is given by W=½I2L.

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. It is typically used in electromagnets and electronic devices.

2. How is the energy of a magnetic field calculated?

The energy associated with a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula: E = (1/2) * L * I^2, where E is energy (in joules), L is the inductance of the solenoid (in henries), and I is the current flowing through the solenoid (in amperes).

3. What is inductance?

Inductance is a measure of the ability of a circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is dependent on the geometry and material of the coil, as well as the number of turns and the presence of any magnetic core.

4. How does the energy of a magnetic field change with the number of turns in a solenoid?

The energy of a magnetic field is directly proportional to the square of the number of turns in a solenoid. This means that as the number of turns increases, the energy also increases.

5. Can the energy associated with a magnetic field be increased?

Yes, the energy associated with a magnetic field can be increased by increasing the current flowing through the solenoid or by using a material with a higher inductance value. However, this increase in energy also results in an increase in the strength of the magnetic field.