Squeeze Theorem and [Sin(x)/x]

• Thread starter camcool21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses a geometric proof that shows the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches 0 is equal to 1. This contradicts the squeeze/sandwich principle which states that both of the "squeezing" limits must exist in order for the middle function to have a limit. The conversation also mentions a proof that shows cos(x) is less than sin(x)/x is less than 1 for -pi/2 < x < pi/2, which is used to prove the limit. The conclusion is that the squeeze theorem cannot be applied in this case since the "squeezing" limits do not exist.
camcool21
I just read through a geometric proof that made complete sense to me and resulted in:

[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{sin(x)}{x} = 1[/tex]

But this contradicts what I thought I knew about the squeeze/sandwich principle.

-1 < sin(x) < 1

(-1/x) < [sin(x)/x] < (1/x)

The limits at (-1/x) and (1/x) don't exist when x is zero, because the left and right hand limits are positive and negative infinity for both. Why can the limit of the term in the middle be anything other than non-existent according to the squeeze theorem? I know it must equal 1, due to the geometric proof I just read, but now I'm just confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
the squeeze theorem can only be applied when both of the 'squeezing' limits exist. As you correctly point out, neither of the ones you are using exist, so your example does not say anything about the squeeze theorem. as for proving your limit, convince yourself that:

cos(x) < sin(x)/x < 1 for -pi/2 < x < pi/2

and, well, squeeze.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose that makes sense. If the either of the two "squeezing" functions don't have a limit, it is impossible to say anything about the middle function with the squeeze theorem.

The fact that cos(x) < sin(x)/x < 1 for -pi/2 < x < pi/2, was the result of the geometric proof I had mentioned. It's in Adrian Banner's "The Calculus Lifesaver" and it's pretty nifty. It involves comparing different areas in a sliced up chunk of the unit circle.

1. What is the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states if two functions, f(x) and g(x), have the same limit as x approaches a certain value, and there is a third function, h(x), that lies between them, then the limit of h(x) must also be the same value.

2. How does the Squeeze Theorem apply to Sin(x)/x?

The Squeeze Theorem can be used to prove the limit of Sin(x)/x as x approaches 0. By setting h(x) as 1 and using the fact that -1 ≤ Sin(x) ≤ 1 for all x, we can show that the limit of Sin(x)/x must also be 1 as x approaches 0.

3. Can the Squeeze Theorem be used for all functions?

No, the Squeeze Theorem can only be used for functions that have a common limit as x approaches a certain value. It is also important to note that the Squeeze Theorem only proves the existence of a limit, not the actual value of the limit.

4. What is the significance of Sin(x)/x in calculus?

Sin(x)/x is a commonly used function in calculus as it is the derivative of Sin(x) and it helps to find the slope of the curve at any point. It is also used in the proof of many important theorems, such as the Squeeze Theorem.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Squeeze Theorem?

Yes, there are some cases where the Squeeze Theorem cannot be applied. For example, if the functions f(x) and g(x) have different limits as x approaches the given value, then the Squeeze Theorem cannot be used. Additionally, if h(x) does not lie between f(x) and g(x), the theorem cannot be applied.