Understanding the Speed of Bullet and Bomb Blasts

In summary, the conversation discusses the initial velocity and acceleration of a bullet or bomb blast. The speakers mention that the velocity starts from zero and increases to a maximum, but then slows down due to factors like air resistance or gravity. The use of subjective terms like "slow" and "eventually" can cause confusion, and the length of the barrel and amount of propellant can also play a role. However, the original speaker is not confused and just wanted clarification before continuing with a related matter. The other speakers offer additional insights but acknowledge that they may not be necessary for the original speaker's purpose.
brbrown
Could someone please clarify if my understanding of the following is correct or not?
When a bullet is fired from a gun or a bomb explodes, I thought I had read somewhere that, in the first few microseconds, the speed of the bullet or bomb blast is slow at first then increases to a maximum, eventually slowing down if nothing other than air resistance or gravity impedes its progress.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the confusion? It's pretty easy to see with the bullet that it starts from zero velocity. That's pretty slow. Any noncontinuous change in velocity would require an infinite acceleration. It follows that it must start "slow" and increase to a maximum. This maximum is very near the end of the muzzle, which means a very short distance and a very short time.

When you use subjective terms like "slow," "at first," and "eventually" it's easy to become confused, because they don't really define anything.

If you had a very long barrel it would start slowing down in the barrel.

How long? How much fuel / propellant?

S_Happens said:
What is the confusion? It's pretty easy to see with the bullet that it starts from zero velocity. That's pretty slow. Any noncontinuous change in velocity would require an infinite acceleration. It follows that it must start "slow" and increase to a maximum. This maximum is very near the end of the muzzle, which means a very short distance and a very short time.

When you use subjective terms like "slow," "at first," and "eventually" it's easy to become confused, because they don't really define anything.

Hello S Happens. Thanks for the reply. I don't really have any confusion. I just wanted to make sure I was right before I pursue another related matter. Thanks for the help.
Hello Atomic Joe and Sophiecentaur, I can see those points would have an effect but not needed for my purpose. Thank you both. Brian

1. What factors affect the speed of a bullet or bomb blast?

The speed of a bullet or bomb blast can be affected by several factors, including the type and size of the explosive, the distance from the explosion, and the surrounding environment (such as air resistance).

2. How fast can a bullet or bomb blast travel?

The speed of a bullet or bomb blast can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above. On average, a bullet can travel at speeds between 1,500 and 2,500 feet per second, while a bomb blast can travel at speeds up to 25,000 feet per second.

3. Can the speed of a bullet or bomb blast be measured?

Yes, the speed of a bullet or bomb blast can be measured using specialized equipment such as high-speed cameras or radar systems. This allows scientists to accurately calculate the speed and trajectory of the projectile or explosion.

4. How does the speed of a bullet or bomb blast affect its destructive power?

The speed of a bullet or bomb blast is a crucial factor in determining its destructive power. A faster projectile or explosion will have more kinetic energy, which can cause greater damage upon impact.

5. Are there any safety measures in place to control the speed of bullets or bomb blasts?

Yes, there are safety measures in place to control the speed of bullets and bomb blasts. For example, firearms have regulations on the maximum bullet speed, and explosives are carefully designed and controlled to prevent unintentional detonation at high speeds.