Derive \epsilon - NTU Expression for Double-Pipe Counter Flow Heat Exchanger

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the \epsilon - NTU Expression for a double-pipe counter flow heat exchanger. The problem at hand is algebraically going from ln( \frac{\Delta T2}{\Delta T1} ) = -UA ( \frac{1}{Ch} + \frac{1}{Cc} ) to ln( \frac{Th,o-Tc,i}{Th,i-Tc,o} ) = -\frac{UA}{Cmin}(1-\frac{Cmin}{Cmax}). The individual has attempted to solve the problem by using equations such as q = mh*Cph*(Th,i - Th,o) and q = mc*Cpc*(Tc,i - Tc
CRich

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] - NTU Expression for a double-pipe counter flow heat exchanger. I know what I need to do the only problem I am having is:

I don't know how to algebraically go from

ln( [tex]\frac{\Delta T2}{\Delta T1}[/tex] ) = -UA ( [tex]\frac{1}{Ch}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{Cc}[/tex] )

to

ln( [tex]\frac{Th,o-Tc,i}{Th,i-Tc,o}[/tex] ) = -[tex]\frac{UA}{Cmin}[/tex](1-[tex]\frac{Cmin}{Cmax}[/tex])

2. Homework Equations & attempt at problem

I said (1/Ch + 1/Cc) = ([tex]\frac{Th,i-Th,o}{q}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{Tc,o-Tc,i}{q}[/tex])

Then I used the relationship: [tex]\epsilon = \frac{q}{qmax}[/tex]

where qmax = Cmin(Thi-Tci)

...so q = [tex]\epsilon[/tex] * qmax

substituted these equations in ...

I have a giant mess of Cmin and Cmax

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The only other equations that may be beneficial are:

q = mh*Cph*(Th,i - Th,o)
and
q = mc*Cpc*(Tc,i - Tc,o)
and
[tex]\frac{Cmin}{Cmax}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{mh Cph}{mc Cpc}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{Tc,o - Tc,i}{Th,i - Th,o}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Anyone?

1. What is a double-pipe counter flow heat exchanger?

A double-pipe counter flow heat exchanger is a type of heat exchanger that uses two concentric pipes to transfer heat between two fluids flowing in opposite directions. This design allows for efficient heat transfer due to the counter flow arrangement.

2. What is the \epsilon-NTU method used for?

The \epsilon-NTU method is used to determine the heat transfer rate and effectiveness of a heat exchanger. It is a simplified approach that uses the effectiveness-NTU (\epsilon-NTU) relationship to calculate the heat transfer rate without the need for detailed thermal analysis.

3. How is the \epsilon-NTU expression derived for a double-pipe counter flow heat exchanger?

The \epsilon-NTU expression is derived using the steady-state energy balance equation for the heat exchanger. This equation takes into account the heat transfer between the two fluids, the heat transfer surface area, and the overall heat transfer coefficient. By rearranging the equation and using the definition of effectiveness (\epsilon), the \epsilon-NTU expression is obtained.

4. What is the significance of the \epsilon-NTU expression in heat exchanger design?

The \epsilon-NTU expression is a fundamental tool in heat exchanger design as it allows for quick and accurate estimation of the heat transfer rate and effectiveness. It also provides insights into the optimal design for maximizing heat transfer in a given heat exchanger configuration.

5. What are the limitations of using the \epsilon-NTU method for heat exchanger analysis?

While the \epsilon-NTU method is a useful tool for initial heat exchanger design, it does have some limitations. It assumes a constant heat capacity rate and neglects any pressure drop effects, which may not be accurate for some heat exchanger systems. Additionally, it is only applicable to steady-state conditions and may not accurately predict performance under transient conditions.