High IQ Society's Culture-Fair Test Bogus

• Thread starter chauncey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq Test
In summary, the High IQ Society's Culture-Fair test is very basic and is designed to get you a 126 regardless of your intelligence. Then, after you become "souped" about your score, they ask for a $59.99 admissions fee to become a member. I cannot believe that there are people that pay to become members of this club. Suggestion: if you are insecure about your intelligence and need a bias, non-impeccable, man-made test to boost your ego, you should go to your psychotherapist and get administered a REAL IQ test.
chauncey
I took the High IQ Society's Culture-Fair test. It's very basic. Many people have claimed that this particular test is the most accurate out of all on-line IQ test. I wholeheartedly disagree, the Mensa workout is far more accurate. All of the tests on HIQS's site are a part of an obvious ploy. In particular, the Culture-Fair test is cunningly rigged so you can receive a 126 (the score you need to be admitted to the society) regardless of how dumb you are in reality. Then, after you become souped about your grade, they commence to asking for a $59.99 admissions fee to become a HIQS member. I cannot believe that there are fools that pay to become members of this club. Suggestion, if you are insecure about you own intelligence and need a bias, non-impeccable, man-made test to boost your ego to the point of engrossing narcissim, goto your psychotherapist and get administered a REAL i.q test.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it's bogus! What kind of society sells http://www.highiqsociety.org/cart2/asp/merchandise_page.asp to non-members anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you suggesting the High IQ test is too easy?

I have never done other proper IQ tests. For those of you who have done both, which one generally gives a higher score?

Most online scores give an inflated IQ score of normally 20 points above your true IQ score. So if you score a 110 on an online IQ test, you're basically a troll.

90 is an adequate score. Since 100 is average. :S

I would doubt that online scores are inflated up to 20 points over your actual IQ. I would think it varies drastically between people.

Yes, you are right it does vary. Some people who have done lots of online IQ tests find that they score higher than others who have never done online IQ tests.

So, this means that trolls are able to function better at tests if they practice.

I've never had a professional IQ test, but online scores put me at around 165 - obviously inflated by at least 20 points.

I randomly chose stuff and got 94.

Online IQ are BS. Don't trust them. I've gotten scores from 90-200+. Real IQ I think really don't mean much seeing how IQ's can change and we can't even define intelli
gence.

Real IQ test

Never trust a multiple choice IQ test. Real IQ tests require you to put together puzzles and things of that sort. The real ones are very insulting to the intelligence because instead of asking you to work out matrices and complex trig problems, they ask you to put together kiddie tangrams and interpret rudimentary proverbs. Authentic IQ tests are really easy. Don't ask me my score because I am not that pretentious.

Last edited:
recon said:
Most online scores give an inflated IQ score of normally 20 points above your true IQ score. So if you score a 110 on an online IQ test, you're basically a troll.

Oddly my online score is lwoer than my real one typically (and by real i mean the score the legitimate psychologist gave after taking a real IQ test) probably because the online one didn't adjust for age properly. (i'm only 17)

I am terrible at IQ tests.

Not bad, as in worst than average, but lower than what I would expect.

I think part of the reason is that my english vocabulary is pretty low, and I suffer on any type of english related question. French was my first language and so naturally I am not to good in english.

I am not bad at english, but I can guarantee you that I would need a dictionary for a test, and maybe even a math exam too.

Look at chauncey's post.

tangrams - just learned this word today because it was part of a poster for the faculty of education. I said today!

rudimentary - ?

pretentious- ?

Sad, I know.

Some people may say that I write well, especially on essays. This is due to the fact that I took notice on how to write, and I avoid words I don't know how to use or words that I don't know. I see people who make up words simply because it sounds "cool".

Also, I am very sophisticated. (Spell?). When someone asks a question, I often think so deeply into it that I forget that it is an easy question. Because I pay attention to the words, grammar mistakes can make questions hard to understand. I then think a million ways to re-word it, and therefore, there are millions of different questions.

Other things too. I can't pronounce some of the new english words I read in books. I still don't have Pythagorean down yet! I get messed up with french/english syllables.

DAMMIT!

Note: Because I'm french, I'm born to do math. :biggrin:

Last edited:
pith ag or ian

JasonRox said:
I am not bad at english, but I can guarantee you that I would need a dictionary for a test, and maybe even a math exam too.

Look at chauncey's post.

tangrams - just learned this word today because it was part of a poster for the faculty of education. I said today!

rudimentary - ?

pretentious- ?

Sad, I know.

rudimentary = basic principles

pretentious = showy

do you understand now?

I'm just giving examples on why some people would score lower than others.

Lack of sleep can lower your score too!

I hate when questions come up that are clearly aimed towards a certain group of people.

For example, history... I'm a Canadian, so why should I be asked US history qestions?

Not that I could answer Canadian history, I hate learning history... bunch of memorizing...

recon said:
Yes, you are right it does vary. Some people who have done lots of online IQ tests find that they score higher than others who have never done online IQ tests.

So, this means that trolls are able to function better at tests if they practice.

I've never had a professional IQ test, but online scores put me at around 165 - obviously inflated by at least 20 points.

One test gives you 165, another will give you 90 believe me. I have had the same experience... Those test are worth nothing...

marlon

I got curious and took one. I scored 151, which is apparently "exceedingly genius" and only applies to less than 1% of the population. Well goly gee! I guess I did discover calculus! :rofl:

The test was entirely composed of (pretty easy) true or false questions. Then I was prompted to 'purchase my complete psych makeup' or something like that. :rofl:

Which test you do Alkatran? I will take it on so we can compare results. I think this is the only way that some IQ-test has a little value...

regards
marlon

http://www.iqtest.com/
->
"Click here to begin"
"Take the full 38 question test"
"Click here to begin"

The test took me very little time.

i got 148... stupid questions though...

i think i should receive an extra 10 points because i ain't no native english-speaker... :biggrin: :wink: :biggrin:

thanks, then that's 158 hiiiihaaa

marlon

I took one once and got a 245. I have also found a lot of times there are question that can have more than one answer. for example: 12, 34, 56, 78,___? what is the next number. you are supposed to say 100 because each one is 22 higher, but if you are looking at the pattern it could be 910 or 90 or 91 because the numbers are 12345678...

That test is a real waste of time...and the letters are too small :grumpy:

150 but I forgot to answer one of the questions I was saving till I was done heh.

I wouldn't put too much on that though. I'm sure my score is much closer to 100 ;)

I got a 159. AND I answered my cell phone in the middle of the test.

well the remark i would like to make is that a 27-year old will probably get the same amount of right answers then a 18-year old because for this test you do not have to have any specific knowledge. Any college student will be able to do it as well as any high-school student. So the 17-year old will get a much higher IQ value because of the age difference...

marlon

tribdog said:
I took one once and got a 245.

Then you are just crazy man... :biggrin:

marlon

lol, I also let my ex's 10 year old take it and I was looking over his shoulder and he didn't get a single question right but still got 120.

tribdog said:
lol, I also let my ex's 10 year old take it and I was looking over his shoulder and he didn't get a single question right but still got 120.

That means my 150 is really worth a 30

Someone kill me! :biggrin:

singleton said:
That means my 150 is really worth a 30

Someone kill me! :biggrin:
hmmm, with an IQ of 30 it shouldn't be that hard.
I could put a lollipop in the bottom of the bathtub. Or maybe take away all your towels, but leave 75cents for the clothes dryer.

Hahhaha, I christmas treed it and got a 117, started with true.
Weird I did it again and started with false and got and 85. :mad:
I must have the smarts of a donkeys butt. :uhh:

well ok many online iq tests are bogus of course(especially those that rates you above 165 lol) but there are enough accurate tests outside too.I suggest here rottus sequence test,nicola'and elena's test(but their site has recently been hacked) and cultural fair iq test of high iq society(which is not easy of course )
I agree tha iq societies policy is ridiculus but i think that mensa's society policy is much more ridiculus.It demands money before testing, at least high iq society allows you to take their tests for free.Oh and smth else i definitily don't think that online(and only online)iq tests can rate someone's iq 20 points above his real iq.I think this is real only if you practise a lot in one kind of iq test (no matter if they are online or not)

ps:i had take a professional iq test and its rate don't different much with their rate of online iq tests i suggest you.

ps2:i know that my english are not fluently at all :) i hope this message makes sense.

Necroposter!

well the remark i would like to make is that a 27-year old will probably get the same amount of right answers then a 18-year old because for this test you do not have to have any specific knowledge. Any college student will be able to do it as well as any high-school student. So the 17-year old will get a much higher IQ value because of the age difference...

marlon
Yep, back in 8th grade there was a brief stint where people in my class all went to that site to take the test, and were exceedingly pleased with ourselves. Then we started getting annoyed that the ppl who were still 13 would get a higher score for the same answers and moved onto more interesting things.

The only test that I took after school days was the Four Sigma Society one. High school said that I was low-average; 4S put me in the 99th percentile. I tend, for purely scientific reasons :rolleyes: to side with the latter.
One thing must be clarified, though. Almost all of them are based more on knowledge than on intelligence. My definition, at least, of intelligence is the capacity for knowledge and the manipulation thereof. By Chauncy's standards, I'd be a raving vegetable because of my grade 9 math education. That's like giving a math professor a test based entirely upon molecular biology and then calling him an idiot if he doesn't hit the same kind of score that Moonbear would.
And JasonRox; I'm pretty particular about proper use of language (not grammar necessarily, but clear communication of ideas). From your posts, it absolutely never crossed my mind that English wasn't your first language. You do a lot better than a few others for whom it is. :smile:

Question 1: Have any of you looked up websites that correlate I.Q. to your GRE scores? If so, what do you think?

Question 2: If you study/ work in a Math - intensive field, don't you think that it puts you at an advantage when seeing patterns in number sequences, etc.? (A similar question could be raised about those who are trained to be analytical in solving qualitative problems.) With pretty much any skill, you can start off fairly average and by constant repetition, focus and helpful feedback gain an advantage over others.

Just for the record, I remember attending a lecture by Kip Thorne where he mentioned that his I.Q. was 119. He mentioned the time he was first traveling to his <Ivy League> undergrad college and the other freshmen in the bus mentioning their high I.Q.s. This made him feel anxious about his ability to survive college.

From his general demeanor it doesn't seem to me that he was making a self-deprecatory remark and deliberately lowering the number to gain sympathy with his audience.

Last edited: