Is Wireless Security Enough to Protect Confidential Medical Information?

In summary, my dad just bought a laptop and he wants to setup wireless internet for him and my mom. He wants me to set it up, but he's a doctor and has confidential patient info on the computer, so I don't have a lot of experience in wireless security measures. All I really know is that it's not secure. Any thoughts or recommendations would be helpful.
Macgyver
My dad just bought a laptop and he wants to setup wireless internet for him and my mom. Which translates to, he wants me to setup wireless internet. But the problem is he is a doctor and will probably have confidential patient info on his computer, I have don’t have much experience in wireless security measures. All I really know is that it isn’t secure. Any thoughts or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks,

Computer science news on Phys.org
Step 1. Wrap house in metal mesh
Step 2. Change the default password
Step 3. Limit access by MAC address
Step 4. Change WEP keys periodically

If you do step 1 you shouldn't have to do steps 2-4, but in the event that you don't do step 1 then you can find the instructions for steps 2-4 in the router manual.

Better still Use a Cisco AP and:

Use Dynamic WEP and Tkip on for encryption
and use MAC and LEAP For Authentication
And finally do NOT broadcast your SSID name

Even better than a house wrapped in metal mesh :smile:

Haha, I don't think my parents would go for step 1, but thanks duardo. Can most routers use WEP and filter MAC addresses?

All wireless routers support WEP and I'm almost certian they also do MAC address filtering.

Yeh most do, WEP is flawed tho... So it is better if you can use Dyanmic WEP and change keys every so often...

Make sure you do not broadcast your SSID also as this is inviting crackers to you, Security through obsecurity is better than non at all

MAC address filter is also better than nothing but is very easy to by-pass by changing your MAC address to one that is Authed on the AP.

If Security is a big deal, you should hire a tech to come and set everything up, becuase the nature of the beast with WLAN's is that it is insecure but with additions of correct protocols and configuration it can be very secure!

Security isn't a huge concern. It sounds like MAC address filtering and dynamic WEP should be sufficient.

Is controling broadcast of the SSID just a setting on the router?

yes, typically an option on the Access Point (Wifi Router)

Thanks for your help. I will be back if i have any trouble, but i think i can handle that.

1. What is wireless security?

Wireless security refers to the measures and protocols put in place to protect wireless networks and devices from unauthorized access, data theft, and other security threats.

2. What are the common types of wireless security measures?

The common types of wireless security measures include encryption, authentication, access control, and network monitoring. Encryption ensures that data transmitted over the network is unreadable to anyone without the proper key. Authentication verifies the identity of devices and users before granting access to the network. Access control restricts access to the network to authorized devices and users. Network monitoring involves continuously monitoring the network for any security threats and taking appropriate actions to mitigate them.

3. Why is wireless security important?

Wireless security is important because it helps protect sensitive data and information from being accessed or intercepted by unauthorized parties. It also ensures the integrity and confidentiality of data transmitted over the network, prevents network disruptions and downtime, and maintains the overall security of the organization's network and systems.

4. How can I improve wireless security in my organization?

To improve wireless security in your organization, you can implement strong encryption protocols, regularly update and patch devices and software, conduct security audits and risk assessments, enforce strong password policies, and educate employees on best practices for wireless security. It is also important to regularly monitor and update your wireless security measures to stay ahead of potential threats.

5. What are some potential vulnerabilities in wireless networks?

Some potential vulnerabilities in wireless networks include weak encryption protocols, unsecured access points, outdated software and devices, weak or default passwords, and lack of network monitoring. Additionally, physical security risks such as unauthorized access to network equipment and devices can also pose a threat to wireless networks.