Time to start a new movie collection, here comes blu-ray

• Thread starter EvilPony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the timeline for when Blu-ray will become the new standard for media and the expected difference in quality compared to HD-dvd. It is speculated that Blu-ray will become the new standard around the same time as HD-dvd, with the picture quality being better but requiring an HD TV to fully appreciate it. The speaker also expresses frustration as a movie enthusiast with the potential need to repurchase movies in the new format.
EvilPony
So does anyone know around when blu-ray will become the new standard for media? Also how much of a difference will the quality be?

Computer science news on Phys.org
http://www.blu-ray.com/

I've heard of it's competitor HD-dvd coming out next year. With the HD-dvd player selling for about $1,000. I can only speculate that it will be at the same time.

Quality wise, from the articles I've read the picture quality will be better but you'll have to get an HD tv to fully take advantage of the high def capabilities.

This is also unfortunate for moviephiles such as me, I've accumulated an estimated 100+ dvd's so far which means that I may have to buy the same 100 movies in HD-dvd or Blu- ray format which I won't be doing :grumpy:

I don't think blu-ray will have any trouble with competition, it has like 11 big name companies backing it up.

1. What is Blu-ray technology and how is it different from other movie formats?

Blu-ray is a high-definition optical disc format used for storing and playing back movies and other media. It offers superior video and audio quality compared to other formats, such as DVD, due to its larger storage capacity and use of advanced video and audio codecs.

2. Do I need a special player to watch Blu-ray movies?

Yes, you will need a Blu-ray player or a gaming console with Blu-ray capability in order to watch Blu-ray movies. Traditional DVD players are not compatible with Blu-ray discs.

3. Can I still watch my old DVDs on a Blu-ray player?

Yes, most Blu-ray players are backwards compatible and can play DVDs as well. However, the picture quality will not be as high as when watching a Blu-ray disc.

4. Are all movies available in Blu-ray format?

No, not all movies are available in Blu-ray format. However, the majority of new and popular movies are released on Blu-ray, and many older movies are also being remastered and released in Blu-ray format.

5. Is it worth upgrading my movie collection to Blu-ray?

It ultimately depends on your preferences and priorities. If you value high-quality video and audio, then upgrading to Blu-ray may be worth it for you. Additionally, with the increasing availability of movies in Blu-ray format, it may be a good investment for the future. However, if you are satisfied with the quality of your current movie collection, there may be no need to upgrade.