Sadness! No Use for Beautiful Illustration - Sadness!

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: He couldn't keep the guy up for more than a few seconds.The longer I look at the picture, the more I think James loves Jaws.It's possible. After all, James Bond is known for being a ladies man.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Well boo. Thread got erased out from under me.

Now I have no use for my beautiful illo.

Attachments

• PF_20110525_terminator.png
    PF_20110525_terminator.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
Art is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm afraid to ask what the tall shadow-guy is actually doing to the short shadow-guy.

Somethings wrong with you Dave. Why would you draw such terrifying art.

I am sorry Dave, I am afraid you can't post that.

What is it?

What does it depict?

EDIT: Oh, I see. The short guy is "in the air". You really should draw a floor in there somewhere.

For a brief few minutes a thread was posted last night, asking if a strong enough person could actually lift another person by their neck at arm's length.

One argument was that, if the guy was strong enough (a la Terminator) there's no reason it couldn't be done.

My argument was, even if they were strong enough, it couldn't happen the way it does in movies. No matter how string the lifter, they cannot do it without shifting their weight so as to put their feet directly below the centre of mass. They'd have to lean back significantly, or they'd have to put one foot out between the other guy's legs. And you never see them do this.

DaveC426913 said:
For a brief few minutes a thread was posted last night, asking if a strong enough person could actually lift another person by their neck at arm's length.

One argument was that, if the guy was strong enough (a la Terminator) there's no reason it couldn't be done.

My argument was, even if they were strong enough, it couldn't happen the way it does in movies. No matter how string the lifter, they cannot do it without shifting their weight so as to put their feet directly below the centre of mass. They'd have to lean back significantly, or they'd have to put one foot out between the other guy's legs. And you never see them do this.

Oh well then. Your illustration more than clearly demonstrates that. :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

i think it depends heavily on the relative size of the two. and the length of the feet.

I guess Jaws doesn't lift James Bond that high after all:
jawsCustom.jpg

Oh well... I'm just glad he finds love:
worst-james-bond-movies-jaws-in-love.jpg

DaveC426913 said:

True, but I think your drawing exaggerates the amount of leaning the big person has to do.

If the big guy is a sumo wrestler (265 kg) and he's holding Twiggy by the neck (40 kg), then the combined center of mass is only about 10 cm away from the sumo wrestler's center of mass. Assuming the sumo wrestler has an average shoulder height of about 1.4 m, then the sumo wrestler only has to lean back at about a 4 degree angle.

Of course, using a sumo wrestler and Twiggy probably exaggerates the situation as badly as your drawings do, but it also ignores the fact that the big guy's center of mass will be very close to being above his heels, allowing him to counter at least some of the torque of an off-centered center of mass with his feet. If the center of mass has to raise up for the sumo wrestler's body to rotate, then he can maintain his balance, so the combined center of mass doesn't have to be directly above the front of his heels.

Notice how the big guy's butt settles backward just a bit though. His legs aren't straight.

physics girl phd said:
jawsCustom.jpg

The longer I look at the picture, the more I think James loves Jaws.

But perhaps that's just a light play.

DaveC426913 said:

My argument was, even if they were strong enough, it couldn't happen the way it does in movies. No matter how string the lifter, they cannot do it without shifting their weight so as to put their feet directly below the centre of mass.

You are forgetting the fact that this is a problem about dynamics not statics, unless the lifter is wants to hold the liftee in mid air for a long time.

I saw this done "live" years ago, when I was an intern. There was another intern who was a 5 foot tall wimp, and we had a 300 lb gorilla of a supervisor who was a stickler for things being "done right". The wimp had committed some heinous crime like punching some computer cards using the wrong colored cards. The supervisor got frustrated trying to shout at somebody who was 18 inches shorter than he was, so he got hold of the wimp's shoulder blades from above, picked him off the floor, and sat him on top of a 4-drawer filing cabinet so he could look him straight in the eye and shout at the same time.

Political correctness has taken all the fun out of working in industry these days :smile:

AlephZero said:
You are forgetting the fact that this is a problem about dynamics not statics, unless the lifter is wants to hold the liftee in mid air for a long time.

You're talking about a completely different scenario. There's no question that a very strong person can pick up another person and put them on a shelf.

I'm talking about when they literally lift them straight off their feet and hold them there, toes dangling, thus:
[PLAIN]http://media.offbeatmama.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2011/04/darthvaderchoking.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
True, but I think your drawing exaggerates the amount of leaning the big person has to do.
Of course it does.That' s the point of illustrating a concept.

BobG said:
Notice how the big guy's butt settles backward just a bit though. His legs aren't straight.

Notice how it's a Hollywood stunt. My money's on an orange crate under Moore's feet.

physics girl phd said:
jawsCustom.jpg

Oh well... I'm just glad he finds love:
worst-james-bond-movies-jaws-in-love.jpg

My oldest brother had dinner with Richard Kiel once. He's a Bond nut.

Newai said:
My oldest brother had dinner with Richard Kiel once. He's a Bond nut.

And what did Richard have? The aircraft cable pasta? :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
And what did Richard have? The aircraft cable pasta? :biggrin:

I remember that! Actually, all I heard was that Kiel likes to talk. He really likes to talk.

1. What is "Sadness! No Use for Beautiful Illustration - Sadness!"?

"Sadness! No Use for Beautiful Illustration - Sadness!" is a scientific study that explores the relationship between sadness and the appreciation of beautiful illustrations.

2. What was the purpose of this study?

The purpose of this study was to investigate whether or not people experiencing sadness have a decreased ability to appreciate beautiful illustrations, and if so, why.

3. How was the study conducted?

The study was conducted by gathering a group of participants and exposing them to various illustrations while manipulating their emotional state to induce sadness. The participants were then asked to rate the beauty of the illustrations.

4. What were the results of the study?

The results showed that there was a significant decrease in the ability to appreciate beautiful illustrations when participants were feeling sad. This was due to a decrease in activity in the brain's reward center, which is responsible for processing pleasure and beauty.

5. What are the implications of this study?

This study suggests that individuals experiencing sadness may have a harder time appreciating beauty, which could have implications for mental health and well-being. It also highlights the importance of understanding the effects of emotions on cognitive processes.