Create an Ion Thruster: 10th Grade Engineering Project

In summary, if you want to build an ion thruster to push a spacecraft off of the planet, it might be difficult and expensive to do so without assistance from a university. Having a knowledgeable supervisor might be a good idea.
Ian Malcolm
Hello Physics Forums, I am a tenth grade student looking into a possible engineering/science project. I wanted to know if an ion thruster could be built, how hard would it be if at all possible. I could work with the university of Arizona and they might lend me a lab and equipment. (such as vacuum chambers). I know things of this stature have been done before students have made crude fusion reactors and particle accelerators. I know quite a bit about physics (for someone in tenth grade) mostly from school and independent reading. I know this is really out there but I just need guidance because I have a passion for science (astronomy mostly) and science fair is something I use for its creative exploration. But sadly all my projects have not been challenging or creative enough. They have all been good projects but they never were memorable. This year I want something big but not impossible something challenging and creative. I would greatly appreciate your input.
Can I create some type of ion thruster? What about a cyclotron? Some other type of particle accelerator?
If there is anything you have been curious about please tell! I have all year.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

It's certainly possible. It might be difficult and expensive if you do not have assistance for the vacuum system. If you wanted to do an electrostatic thruster, I think to do it you should have a vacuum chamber with high voltage feedthroughs for providing the acceleration, and feedthrough for some way of measuring the force.

I should add that high voltages can be dangerous and I do not want to be partially resonsible for getting you killed.

If you decide to do this, having a knowledgeable supervisor might be the right thing to do. Also, if you do decide to do this, maybe you should post updates to an internet forum so more people may monitor your progress and give advice.

Last edited:

The difference between an ion source (needed for thruster) and an ion thruster is that the ion beam in the thruster is a neutral (uncharged) beam. This is a very significant difference. If the thruster emits a charged ion beam, a charge potential builds up on the thruster case, and eventually the charged ion beam stops, turns around, and re-enters the thruster (actually it is space charge limited, but with same result). Not an easy design.

Bob S

Hello there,

First of all, I want to commend you for your passion for science and your desire to take on a challenging project. It's always exciting to see young minds interested in pushing the boundaries of what is possible.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible for you to create an ion thruster as a tenth grade engineering project. However, it will require a significant amount of knowledge and resources. Ion thrusters are complex devices that use electricity to accelerate ions and create thrust. They are commonly used in spacecraft propulsion systems, but they can also be used in other applications.

To build an ion thruster, you will need a vacuum chamber, a power supply, and various other components such as electrodes, gas sources, and control systems. You will also need to have a good understanding of electromagnetism, plasma physics, and engineering principles. It would be beneficial if you have access to a mentor or advisor who can guide you through the process and provide you with the necessary equipment and resources.

Alternatively, you could also consider building a cyclotron or another type of particle accelerator. These devices use electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to high speeds and energies. They are often used in research to study the properties of particles and their interactions. Again, building such a device will require a lot of knowledge and resources, but it is definitely possible.

In terms of guidance, I would recommend reaching out to your local university or research institute to see if they have any programs or resources available for high school students. You could also consider participating in science fairs or competitions that focus on engineering projects, as they often provide mentorship and support for students.

In conclusion, creating an ion thruster or a particle accelerator as a tenth grade engineering project is a challenging but achievable goal. With determination, hard work, and the right resources, you can definitely make it happen. I wish you all the best in your project and your future endeavors in science and engineering. Keep exploring and pushing the boundaries of what is possible!

1. What is an ion thruster?

An ion thruster is a type of propulsion system that uses accelerated ions to generate thrust. It works by ionizing atoms or molecules and then accelerating them using electromagnetic fields.

2. How does an ion thruster work?

An ion thruster works by first ionizing a propellant, typically a gas such as xenon, using an electron gun or radio frequency ionization chamber. The ions are then accelerated using an electric field and expelled from the thruster at high velocities, creating thrust.

3. What are the advantages of using an ion thruster?

Ion thrusters have several advantages over traditional chemical propulsion systems. They are highly efficient, providing much higher specific impulse (the amount of thrust produced per unit of propellant) and require less propellant for the same amount of thrust. They also have a longer operational lifetime and can provide continuous thrust for longer periods of time.

4. What materials are needed to create an ion thruster?

The materials needed to create an ion thruster may vary, but some common components include an ionization chamber, an electron gun, an electric field generator, and a propellant source. You may also need materials for constructing the thruster body and for insulation and electrical connections.

5. Is creating an ion thruster a feasible project for a 10th grade engineering student?

Creating an ion thruster can be a challenging project, but it is certainly feasible for a 10th grade engineering student with the right resources and guidance. It requires a good understanding of physics, electronics, and materials, as well as access to certain tools and equipment. However, with dedication and perseverance, it can be a rewarding project for a motivated student.