Maths needed for voice simulation

• Thread starter greeniekin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulation
In summary, the speaker is a programmer with an idea to simulate a voice by generating frequencies in a pipe with a different shape. They are not looking to create a text-to-speech program and are only focusing on vowels. They have had difficulty finding information on this topic, but are looking for suggestions or insights. They mention that vowels have multiple frequencies and are referred to as formants. They also suggest using a microphone and Fourier decomposition to establish templates for mouth sounds. They provide links to resources on vocal simulation and signal analysis for further research.
greeniekin
I am a programmer and I was thinking about making a program to simulate a voice. To be clear I'm not looking to make a text-to-speech program, and I'm only really expecting to do vowels.

My idea is to basically to generate a frequency(vibrating vocal chords) in a pipe(throat mouth). Having a different shape of the pipe.

Unfortunately searching for stuff i come across speech recognition or text to speech(and the best text to speech don't generate sounds they use recordings).

I have no idea what i should be looking for. If anyone could point me in the right direction or provide any insight it would be much appreciated.

I know little things like vowels have many different frequencies sounding at once, and that they are referred to as formants. Though i don't know how these are determined.

Physics news on Phys.org
greeniekin said:
I am a programmer and I was thinking about making a program to simulate a voice. To be clear I'm not looking to make a text-to-speech program, and I'm only really expecting to do vowels.

My idea is to basically to generate a frequency(vibrating vocal chords) in a pipe(throat mouth). Having a different shape of the pipe.

Unfortunately searching for stuff i come across speech recognition or text to speech(and the best text to speech don't generate sounds they use recordings).

I have no idea what i should be looking for. If anyone could point me in the right direction or provide any insight it would be much appreciated.

I know little things like vowels have many different frequencies sounding at once, and that they are referred to as formants. Though i don't know how these are determined.

I really don't know anything about this but I'd assume the approach you're suggesting will go nowhere. Attempting to simulate the physics of the vocal chords is probably the backwards way to do it. A better approach would be to get a microphone and sound out letters and sounds into it and then do a Fourier decomposition of each sound, strip all but the most dominant modes and replay it; see how close it sounds to correct. In this way you could very quickly establish templates for mouth sounds. Obviously there are far more advanced steps you could take from there which would relate to signal analysis.

1. What type of mathematics is needed for voice simulation?

The main type of mathematics needed for voice simulation is computational mathematics, specifically in the areas of signal processing, digital signal processing, and machine learning. These areas involve using mathematical models and algorithms to process and analyze voice data, and then simulate it in a realistic manner.

2. How important is linear algebra in voice simulation?

Linear algebra is crucial in voice simulation as it helps in representing and manipulating the various components of voice data, such as pitch, frequency, and amplitude. It also plays a significant role in creating mathematical models and algorithms used in voice simulation.

3. Can calculus be applied in voice simulation?

Yes, calculus is essential in voice simulation as it helps in understanding the changing properties of sound, such as its rate of change and curvature. Calculus is used to create mathematical models for sound waves and to calculate the necessary adjustments needed to simulate them accurately.

4. How does probability and statistics play a role in voice simulation?

Probability and statistics are crucial in voice simulation as they help in analyzing and interpreting voice data. These mathematical concepts are used to determine the likelihood of certain voice patterns and to make predictions based on the data collected, resulting in more realistic voice simulation.

5. Are there any specific mathematical tools or software used in voice simulation?

Yes, there are several mathematical tools and software used in voice simulation, such as MATLAB, Python, and R programming. These tools and software provide a platform for creating and implementing mathematical models and algorithms for voice simulation. They also allow for data analysis and visualization, which is essential in creating realistic voice simulations.