Linear Algebra - Quadratic polynomial to Matrix

In summary, a quadratic polynomial is a type of polynomial with the form ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It can also be represented as a 2x2 matrix, with the coefficients of the polynomial in the first row and 0, 1, and 0 in the second row. Converting a quadratic polynomial to a matrix can be useful for solving systems of equations and finding roots, as it allows for easier manipulation and calculation using matrix algebra. To solve a system of equations using matrices, the equations are first converted into matrix form and then solved using matrix operations. Additionally, quadratic polynomials can have complex roots, also known as imaginary roots, when the
Snoogx

Homework Statement

Examining the answers of the previous two questions, write the quadratic polynomial f(x1,x2,x3)=x1x2−6x22+3x2x3−3x23 in the form
f(x1,x2,x3)=[x1x2x3]A[x1x2x3]<-this last group is a column matrix
where A is a symmetric matrix.

Homework Equations

Matrix multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

So the previous problems had me start with the matrix, then multiply by the row then column vectors to get a polynomial. Then here it wants me to work backwards to get matrix A.

I started with:
x1x2−6x22+3x2x3−3x23.
Grouped like terms:
(x1x2) + (−6x22 + 3x2x3) + (−3x23)
Took out an x1, x2, x3 form each grouping, respectively. That gives me the second step of the problem:
[(x2) (−6x2 3x3) (−3x3)] [x1 x2 x3] <-again, column matrix
So, working backwards, I now have to find the values of the elements of matrix A so when multiplied by row vector [x1 x2 x3] will result in the output of [(x2) (−6x2 3x3) (−3x3)].
In other words, [x1][# # #](<-column) will equal [x2].
So I end up getting matrix A =
[ 0 0 0
1 -6 0
0 3 -3]

I know A11 = 0 and A22 = -6 are correct. But when I input the rest of the matrix in they homework system tells me I'm wrong.
Could anyone look through this and see if I made a mistake somewhere? Or maybe the system has the wrong key and my answer is correct? Any insight and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
that matrix is not symmetric for a start

now say you have found a matrix B that is not symmetric, but gives you teh correct polynomial. you can always write it in terms of a symmetric (S) and skew-symmetric (P) part
B = S+P

consider the polynomial
p(x) = xTBx = xTSx + xTPx =

as p(x) is a scalar function, it will be equal to its transpose
p(x) = p(x)T = (xTSx)T + (xTPx)T = (xTST x)] + (xTPTx)
= (xTS x) - (xTPx)

which implies xTPx = 0 that only the symmetric part of the matrix is important in defining the polynomial

so if you are happy you matrix is correct (have you checked it gives the right result?)

you can find the symmetric and anti symmetric parts as follows

B = S+P
S = (B+BT)/2
P = (B-BT)/2

Thank you for the explanation lanedance. I didn't know about symmetric matrices.

no worries - just to add, for most polynomials there is actually an infinite way they can be written interms of a matrix x^TBx, however if you restrict yourself to symmetric matrix , which appear to be the natural choice based on teh above, then is is one unique solution

What is a quadratic polynomial?

A quadratic polynomial is a polynomial of the form ax2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is also known as a second-degree polynomial because the highest degree of its variable is 2.

How is a quadratic polynomial represented as a matrix?

A quadratic polynomial can be represented as a 2x2 matrix by grouping its terms into rows and columns. The matrix will have the coefficients of the x2, x, and constant terms in the first row, and 0, 1, and 0 in the second row.

What is the purpose of converting a quadratic polynomial to a matrix?

Converting a quadratic polynomial to a matrix can be useful in solving systems of equations or finding the roots of the polynomial. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the polynomial using matrix algebra.

How do you solve a system of equations using matrices?

To solve a system of equations using matrices, first convert the equations into matrix form where the coefficients of the variables are represented by a matrix and the constants are represented by a column vector. Then, use matrix operations to solve for the variables in the system.

Can a quadratic polynomial have complex roots?

Yes, a quadratic polynomial can have complex roots, which are also known as imaginary roots. This occurs when the discriminant (b2 - 4ac) is negative, resulting in solutions involving the imaginary unit, i.