Electric Potential, Electric Potential Energy, Electric Field

In summary, the question asks to find the location of a +6.2-µC charge along the x-axis when its electric potential energy equals certain values. To solve this, the equations E=-\DeltaV/\Deltax, F=Eq, W=Eqd, and W= -\DeltaU are used. However, the provided attempt at a solution does not yield the correct answer.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

As a +6.2-µC charge moves along the x-axis from x = 0 to x = 1.4 m, the electric potential it experiences is shown in the figure, below. (The horizontal axis is marked in increments of 0.1 m and the vertical axis is marked in increments of 5 V.) Find the approximate location(s) of the charge when its electric potential energy U equals the the following values. (If there are more than one answer, enter your answers from smallest to largest. If there is only one answer, enter your answer in the first answer box and enter "none" in the following boxes.)

Here is the graph: http://www.webassign.net/walker/20-22alt…

(a) U = 0.000124 J
x1 = m
x2 = m
x3 = m

(b) U = 0.000217 J
x1 = m
x2 = m
x3 = m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

E=-[itex]\Delta[/itex]V/[itex]\Delta[/itex]x and F=Eq and W=Eqd and W= -[itex]\Delta[/itex]U. So for the a). X1 i found the slope for region one which I found to be 50, then I used the Force equation and got 3.81e8 N then plugging those values into my work equation, solving for d I got 4e-13. But this is wrong any help in the right direction would be nice.. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that your link is not working.

Here is the picture...
20-22alt.gif

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. It is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy of a charged particle at a certain point in an electric field.

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is measured in joules and is directly proportional to the charge of the particle and the strength of the electric field at its location.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space surrounding a charged particle or group of charged particles where other charged particles experience a force. Electric fields are created by the presence of electric charges and can be either positive or negative.

How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related. The electric potential at a point in an electric field is equal to the electric field strength at that point multiplied by the distance from the point to a reference point. In mathematical terms, this can be expressed as V = Ed, where V is electric potential, E is electric field strength, and d is distance.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the actual energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a property of the electric field itself, while electric potential energy is a property of a charged particle within that field.