Java program that prints 1000 times.

In summary, the OP is asking if there is an easier way to print a thousand times without using loops. The easiest way is to use a method with a single statement that prints a thousand times.
Hiche
Okay.

So, I'm taking up a beginning Java course in college and we have been assigned a rather simple (?) homework.

We have to code a program that prints a statement a thousand times, but without the use of loops, only methods. I know I can create a method that contains a number of the statement and then call it several times from the main method, but is there an easier way? Our instructor asked for the simplest way. Is the one I mentioned the simplest way when we are limited to methods?

I'm still new to programming. How did I know about loops? Read a few further chapters ahead of our course.

Code:
public class MyProgram
{
	public static void main(String[] args)
	{
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
                // call some more and more..

}

public static void printStatement
	{
		System.out.println("statement");
	}

public static void printThousandTimes
	{
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
	}
}

Technology news on Phys.org
You don't need to write a method with 1000 identical print statements.

What do you think happens if you write a method with say 5 print statements, and call it 5 times.

Now think about the fact that 1000 = 10 x 10 x 10.

Code:
public class MyProgram
{
	public static void main(String[] args)
	{
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
		printThousandTimes();
	}

public static void printStatement()
	{
	}

public static void printThousandTimes()
	{
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
		printStatement();
	}
}

Like this?

And thank you, Aleph Zero. Bare with me if my answer is not true, if you may.

I think limited recursion would qualify for not being a loop. Just pass a counter variable and don't recurse when that variable exceeds 1000.

Hiche said:
Like this?

You got it :smile:

fleem said:
I think limited recursion would qualify for not being a loop. Just pass a counter variable and don't recurse when that variable exceeds 1000.
Maybe so, but if the OP hasn't studied loops yet, he/she probably doesn't know about recursion either.

I'm not entirely sure if it could count as a loop, but there is a really simple way to do this without using any "loop" keywords(for, do, while...)
Code:
public class MyProgram
{
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        rec(0);
    }

public static void rec (int count) {
        System.out.println(count); //Or whatever else you wish really...
        if (count<1000) rec(count++);
    }
}
It's called recursion. As in a function that calls itself...

1. What is a Java program that prints 1000 times?

A Java program that prints 1000 times is a program written in the Java programming language that uses a loop to print a specific statement or variable 1000 times. This is a common exercise used to practice using loops in Java programming.

2. How do I write a Java program that prints 1000 times?

To write a Java program that prints 1000 times, you first need to create a loop that will iterate 1000 times. Inside the loop, you can use the "System.out.println()" method to print your desired statement or variable. Once the loop is completed, the statement or variable will have been printed 1000 times.

3. Why would I need a Java program that prints 1000 times?

A Java program that prints 1000 times can be used for various reasons, such as practicing loops, testing system performance, or creating a large dataset for testing purposes. It can also be used in educational settings to teach students about loops and repetition in programming.

4. Can a Java program that prints 1000 times be modified to print a different number of times?

Yes, a Java program that prints 1000 times can be modified to print a different number of times by changing the number in the loop condition. For example, if you want to print 500 times, you would change the condition to "i < 500" instead of "i < 1000".

5. Is there a more efficient way to print a statement or variable multiple times in Java?

Yes, there are other ways to print a statement or variable multiple times in Java. One way is to use the "for" loop instead of the "while" loop, as it is specifically designed for iterating a specific number of times. Another way is to use the "StringBuilder" class, which can improve performance when printing large numbers of times.