Trajectory of a rigid body with two wheel with different speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two wheels moving in circular motion around a shared center without skidding. The formula for the distance between the center and each wheel is provided, with a suggestion for a more rigorous demonstration. The conversation also includes a thank you and a suggestion for further experimentation with a toy car.
Rossi88
Hi,

first sorry for my bad English, I am more skilled to read than to write in English
I don't know if this is the right section for this topic.

The problem is described in the title of the topic.
My guess is that each of the two wheels goes on with circular trajectory around a same center. There isn't skidding of the wheels.
If the distance between the wheel is D, the speed of the slowest wheel is v1 and the speed of the other wheel is v2 (v1 and v2 is the linear speed), then:

R1=v1*d/(v2-v1)

is the distance between the centre and the slowest wheel, and of course the distance between the centre and the other wheel is

R2=v1*D/(v2-v1)+D=v2*D/(v2-v1)

is my guess correct?
My guess is based on time that each wheel needs to do the circle, and this time needs to be equal for the two wheel.
It seems to be correct, if one wheel is stopped (for example v1=0) the other does a circle around it, infact for the above formulas:
R1=0
R2=D
if the speed of the two wheel are the same
R1->inf
R2->inf

There is someone that knows an other demonstration more rigorous of this?
I attended a mechanical course some year ago, with euler's formula, lagrange and other but I don't remember much and I don't know how to determine the trajectory of a rigid body with two point with different speed.

A special thank to anyone that will help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look good to me, even letting v1=-v2, means R1 and R2 = D/2, which looks good.

elegysix said:
Your equations look good to me, even letting v1=-v2, means R1 and R2 = D/2, which looks good.

your observation is interesting, and is a further proof of the goodness of the equations.
Thank you.

if someone other have a demonstration I will be grateful to him

I think if you took a toy car and put two different size wheels on either side, It would trace the outside of a circle depending on the initial velocity you give it. As long as the wheels are on the same axle that is.

Hello,

Your guess is correct. The trajectory of a rigid body with two wheels moving at different speeds can be determined using the concept of relative motion. Each wheel will have its own circular trajectory around a common center, with the radius of each circle determined by the speeds of the wheels and the distance between them. The center of the circles will also move along a circular trajectory, with its radius determined by the difference in speeds between the two wheels.

To demonstrate this more rigorously, you can use vector mathematics and kinematics equations to analyze the motion of the rigid body. This would involve breaking down the motion of the body into components and using equations such as velocity and acceleration to determine the trajectory of each wheel and the center of the body. You can also use concepts from mechanics such as angular velocity and torque to analyze the motion of the body.

I hope this helps. Keep exploring and learning about the principles of motion and mechanics. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size, even under the influence of external forces. In other words, it does not deform or change in any way when subjected to forces.

2. How does the trajectory of a rigid body with two wheels differ from that of a single wheel?

The trajectory of a rigid body with two wheels is more complex than that of a single wheel because it involves the motion of two separate wheels with different speeds. This creates a combination of linear and rotational motion, resulting in a curved trajectory instead of a straight line.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a rigid body with two wheels?

The trajectory of a rigid body with two wheels is influenced by various factors such as the speed and direction of each wheel, the distance between the wheels, the mass and distribution of mass of the body, and external forces such as friction and air resistance.

4. How is the trajectory of a rigid body with two wheels calculated?

The trajectory of a rigid body with two wheels can be calculated using principles of kinematics, which involves analyzing the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. This involves considering the initial conditions of the body, its velocity and acceleration, and using equations of motion to predict its trajectory.

5. What real-world applications involve the concept of a rigid body with two wheels?

The concept of a rigid body with two wheels has various real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles, robots, and machinery. It is also used in sports such as cycling and skating, where the motion of the body is affected by the rotation of two separate wheels with different speeds.