Astrophysics - Which Programming Language

In summary: Implicitly solving systems means that the computer can approximate solutions by using a mathematical model, while explicit solutions give the exact solution. Implicit methods are faster, but can lead to more errors. Explicit methods are more accurate, but can take longer to solve. There is the matter of scalability, with the possibility for parallelization. Parallelization can allow the simulation to be run on multiple processors, making the simulation faster. However, parallelization can also lead to errors if the code is not written correctly.
Seb222
I've done a very small amount of C++, but I don't want to spend the time I have to prepare on learning a language when it would have been more preferable to learn another (even though it seems you may use several language, and learning one helps to learn another.)

But are there any language you would say I require? Of course, everyone seems to swear by one language, whereas someone else will tell you to avoid it at all costs, so it's all a little confusing. Any input would be really valuable to me, thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
Depends on what you want to do and which style suits you best.
There are a myriad of options.

One would be a high level interpreted language of one of the math software - Matlab, Mathematica, Maple(there's a whole section https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189" covering just those types of packages).
If you are interested in building simulations C++ is a good bet. On the other hand Java works for multiple platforms.
Then there's a whole another area of GPU computing(if you need more computing power), which as I understand it is quite similar to C++ in style(CUDA anyway, don't know about OpenCL).

Besides, a program is just a tool for helping you to some result. And if you are talking astrophysics the choice of language will be the least of your problems I'd wager.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seb222 said:
I've done a very small amount of C++, but I don't want to spend the time I have to prepare on learning a language when it would have been more preferable to learn another (even though it seems you may use several language, and learning one helps to learn another.)

But are there any language you would say I require? Of course, everyone seems to swear by one language, whereas someone else will tell you to avoid it at all costs, so it's all a little confusing. Any input would be really valuable to me, thanks!
Either FORTRAN or C++, with some Python perhaps.

C++ seems to be becoming the new standard particularly for Multiphysics Object Oriented Simulation Environment (MOOSE) with parallel and massively parallel systems.
For example, http://www.inl.gov/technicalpublications/Documents/4336141.pdf

FORTRAN is the legacy standard for larger computational/simulation systems.

There is the matter of implicit vs explicit solutions, with the possibility for hybrid techniques. A lot depends on the time scale and non-linearities.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What programming language is most commonly used in astrophysics?

The most commonly used programming language in astrophysics is Fortran. It has been used for decades in the field due to its efficient handling of mathematical and scientific computations.

2. Can I use other programming languages for astrophysics?

Yes, other programming languages such as Python, C++, and Java can also be used in astrophysics. However, Fortran is still the preferred choice for its specialized libraries and extensive use in the field.

3. Do I need to know programming to study astrophysics?

While it is not necessary to be an expert programmer, having some knowledge of programming can be beneficial in astrophysics. Understanding how to write and run code can help in analyzing large amounts of data and performing complex calculations.

4. Are there any specific programming languages used for certain areas of astrophysics?

Yes, there are specific programming languages used for certain areas of astrophysics. For example, IDL (Interactive Data Language) is commonly used for data analysis and visualization, while IRAF (Image Reduction and Analysis Facility) is used for image processing and reduction.

5. How can I learn the necessary programming skills for astrophysics?

There are various resources available for learning programming skills for astrophysics. Some universities offer courses specifically tailored for astrophysics, and there are also online tutorials and guides available. It is also helpful to practice and work on coding projects related to astrophysics to gain experience.