Rainfall driven micro hydro system

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to design a Rainfall Driven Micro Hydro-Generating System that can produce 30 W at 12 V regulated DC under normal operation. The equations and formulas needed to calculate the flow of rainfall and determine the necessary components are also mentioned. The suggested resources for further research are the Wikipedia articles on hydroelectric power generation and micro hydro generation.
cutegaljessy

Homework Statement

I need to design a Rainfall Driven Micro Hydro-Generating System
Under normal operation, the generating system is expected to produce 30 W at 12 V regulated DC

Homework Equations

1st how to calculate the flow of rainfall
2nd: what are the formulas that I should use?
and what do I need to calculate?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the formula P = net head x flow x g
I still need the remaining formulas

Physics news on Phys.org
cutegaljessy said:

Homework Statement

I need to design a Rainfall Driven Micro Hydro-Generating System
Under normal operation, the generating system is expected to produce 30 W at 12 V regulated DC

Homework Equations

1st how to calculate the flow of rainfall
2nd: what are the formulas that I should use?
and what do I need to calculate?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the formula P = net head x flow x g
I still need the remaining formulas

Welcome to the PF.

This wikipedia article is a good intro to hydroelectric power generation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroelectricity

And it has a link out to the article on Micro Hydro generation. These articles would be a good place to start your research for your project.

1. What is a rainfall driven micro hydro system?

A rainfall driven micro hydro system is a small-scale hydropower system that harnesses the energy of flowing water from a nearby stream or river to generate electricity. It relies on the natural movement of water, driven by rainfall, to turn a turbine and produce electricity.

2. How does a rainfall driven micro hydro system work?

The system works by diverting a portion of the stream or river's flow through a pipeline, which leads to a turbine. The turbine is connected to a generator, which converts the mechanical energy of the moving water into electrical energy. The electricity is then sent to a control panel and distributed to power outlets.

3. What are the benefits of a rainfall driven micro hydro system?

There are several benefits to using a rainfall driven micro hydro system. It is a renewable and sustainable source of energy, as it relies on the continuous cycle of rainfall. It is also a low-cost option for generating electricity, as the water used is free and the maintenance and operational costs are minimal. Additionally, the system has a long lifespan and does not produce pollutants or greenhouse gases.

4. What are the factors to consider when installing a rainfall driven micro hydro system?

Some important factors to consider when installing a rainfall driven micro hydro system include the amount and reliability of rainfall in the area, the available flow rate and head (the vertical distance the water flows), and the land and water rights needed for installation. It is also important to consider the size and type of turbine needed for the specific site and the cost of installation and maintenance.

5. What are the limitations of a rainfall driven micro hydro system?

While a rainfall driven micro hydro system has many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. It is highly dependent on the amount and reliability of rainfall in the area, so it may not be a suitable option in areas with low rainfall or frequent droughts. The system also requires a significant initial investment for installation, which may not be feasible for some individuals or communities. Additionally, the system may have limited capacity and may not be able to meet the electricity needs of larger populations.