Help proving complex inequality

In summary, a complex inequality involves complex numbers and can be represented on a complex plane. To prove a complex inequality, algebraic manipulation, properties of complex numbers, and the triangle inequality may be used. Common mistakes when proving complex inequalities include not considering the imaginary component, not following the rules of complex numbers, and not being careful when taking the square root. Tips for proving complex inequalities include graphing on a complex plane, breaking down into smaller steps, and double checking work. Complex inequalities can also be solved using calculus, with techniques similar to solving real-valued inequalities.
JerryG
This may seem trivial, but for some reason I am having trouble with it. For a and b in the complex plane, I am trying to prove the following:

|a|^2+|b|^2 >= |(a+b)/2|^2

I need this for part of a larger proof.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since no one has answered yet, I'll give it a go.

Starting from the triangle inequality, we get

|a+b| <= |a| + |b|

=>

|a+b|^2 <= (|a| + |b|)^2 = |a|^2 + |b|^2 + 2|a||b|

=>

|(a+b)/2|^2 <= |a|^2 / 4 + |b|^2 / 4 + |a||b| / 2If we can prove that |a|^2 + |b|^2 >= |a|^2 / 4 + |b|^2 / 4 + |a||b| / 2, then we're done!

Can you go from here?

1. What is a complex inequality?

A complex inequality is an inequality that involves complex numbers, which are numbers that have both real and imaginary components. These types of inequalities can be represented on a complex plane, where the real numbers are plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers are plotted on the vertical axis.

2. How do I prove a complex inequality?

To prove a complex inequality, you will need to use algebraic manipulation and properties of complex numbers. You may also need to use the triangle inequality, which states that for any complex numbers a and b, |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|. It is important to carefully follow the rules of complex numbers and be cautious when taking the square root of a complex number.

3. What are some common mistakes when proving complex inequalities?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider the imaginary component of the complex numbers. Another mistake is not following the rules of complex numbers, such as not multiplying or dividing by the conjugate when simplifying expressions. It is also important to be careful when taking the square root of a complex number, as there can be multiple solutions.

4. Are there any tips for proving complex inequalities?

Yes, it can be helpful to graph the complex numbers on a complex plane to visualize the inequality. You can also try breaking down the inequality into smaller steps and using properties of complex numbers to simplify each step. It is also important to double check your work and make sure all steps are valid.

5. Can complex inequalities be solved using calculus?

Yes, complex inequalities can be solved using calculus. The techniques used are similar to solving real-valued inequalities, but may involve taking derivatives and using the chain rule. It is important to be familiar with the rules of complex numbers and how they relate to calculus concepts.