Inherent negativity of seemingly symmetric finite integer sets

In summary, the conversation discusses a theory about finite sets of integers with an equal number of positive and negative elements. The theory suggests that when two elements are chosen from the set without replacement, the probability of them having opposite signs is higher than them having the same sign. This is due to the nature of probability and becomes more balanced as n increases. The conversation also explores the potential applications of this theory in real world scenarios.
Evic
Hi everyone.
My first post on this great forum, keep up all the good ideas.
Apologies if this is in the wrong section and for any lack of appropriate jargon in my post. I am not a mathematician.

I have a theory / lemma which I would like your feedback on:- Take a finite set S of integers which has an equal number (n) of positive and negative elements.
The trivial example would be n= 1 and S = [-1,1], or n = 2 and S = [-2,-1,1,2] and so on to something less trivial like n = 3 and S = [-35,-3,-2, 1,1,100]

- Take two elements from the set without replacement. ie. do not choose the same element twice. for the trivial case n=1 we get [-1,1].
When n = 2 we have possibilities [-2, -1] , [-2, 1] , [-2, 2] , [-1, 1] , [-1, 2] , [1, 2]

Note that 4 of these possibilities (at n = 2) have one element of each sign, and only 2 are of the same sign.

- In the general case this holds (as far as I can tell). That is using non replacement choosing of two elements on such a set will result in more possibilities with one element from each sign than two elements of the same sign.
As n increases the probability approaches 50% but is always slightly higher favoring the opposite signs.
n = 1 = 100%
n = 2 = 66.%
etc.

- Perform a multiplication or division on your chosen elements. Because there is a higher probability for the elements to have opposite signs, there is therefore a higher probability that the result of your operation will be negative.That is my understanding of the situation. If I have gotten something wrong please correct me.

And here is my question. Why in a seemingly symmetrical set is there a tendency towards a negative result?
And can anyone think of any application of this to any field or real world scenario?
Does anyone know if this type of set is used anywhere?

Thank you all for your time.
I look forward to your responses.

Djordje

Physics news on Phys.org
It's very simple actually. Instead of integers, suppose we have a bag which contains two white balls and two black balls. You draw one, but don't replace it. So there is 3 balls left, two of which will be the opposite colour to the one you just drew. The second draw will always be biased towards the opposite colour. In your case you are enumerating all possible draws, so obviously you should get more "opposites" than "sames".

Oh, and as n increases it converges to 50/50 as you said. Why? Because the effect of removing one ball is proportionally smaller as n increases.

1. What does "inherent negativity" mean in the context of symmetric finite integer sets?

Inherent negativity refers to the presence of negative values within a seemingly symmetric set of finite integers. This means that despite the apparent balance or symmetry of the set, there are negative values that can impact the overall interpretation or analysis of the data.

2. How can the inherent negativity of symmetric finite integer sets affect scientific research?

The presence of negative values in symmetric finite integer sets can introduce bias or skewness in the data and therefore affect the results of scientific research. It can also impact the accuracy and generalizability of conclusions drawn from the data.

3. Are there any specific techniques or methods to address the issue of inherent negativity in symmetric finite integer sets?

Yes, there are various statistical techniques and methods that can be used to address the issue of inherent negativity in symmetric finite integer sets. These include transformations, normalization, and using non-parametric tests instead of parametric tests.

4. Is it possible for a symmetric finite integer set to have no inherent negativity?

No, it is not possible for a symmetric finite integer set to have no inherent negativity. This is because even if a set appears to be perfectly symmetric, there may still be underlying negative values that are not visible. It is important for scientists to be aware of this and appropriately handle any potential negativity in their data.

5. Can the presence of inherent negativity in symmetric finite integer sets be completely eliminated?

No, the presence of inherent negativity in symmetric finite integer sets cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be minimized through proper data collection and analysis techniques. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the potential for inherent negativity in their data and address it appropriately in their research.