Why Ax=0 only has trivial solution

• Thread starter georg gill
  • Start date
In summary, if A is invertible and its column vectors are linearly independent, then Ax=0 has only the trivial solution for x.
georg gill
Ax=0 has only trivial solution if A is row equivalent to I. Here in theorem 6 they explain it by referring to another theorem 4 in my book:

Theorem 6
http://bildr.no/view/1032481

Theorem 4:

http://bildr.no/view/1032482

Why is it so that if A is invertible Ax=0 only has trivial solution for x.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is true because a matrix is invertible if and only if its column vectors are all linearly independent (If the columns are linearly dependent on the other hand, the matrix will have determinant zero and thus not be invertible)
i.e. if A has column vectors [itex]v_1,...,v_n[/itex], then those vectors are linearly independent if and only if the equation [itex]a_1v_1 +...+a_nv_n\cdot =0[/itex] has only the trivial solution [itex]a_1=...=a_n=0[/itex] This is equivalent to saying [itex]Ax=0[/itex] has only the trivial solution. To see this, write the linear independence expression in matrix notation.

I get it when I say that the column vectors are linearly independent (as you point out) but when one reduce a matrix to its identity matrix one will get I if the rows are independent. How does this show that also the columns are independent?

Well do you remember how you find the inverse of a matrix? you reduce it alongside the identity, i.e. reduce [itex](A|I_n)[/itex], If you can arrive at the identity via row reduction, then A is invertible. And a matrix is invertible if and only if the columns are independent. The two statements go hand in hand, each implies the other. Alternatively, you know that the Identity matrix has linearly independent column vectors. It follows that if you can reduce a matrix by performing elementary row operations into the identity, then the original column vectors must be linearly independent.

Yes,correct

1. Why is it important to understand why Ax=0 only has a trivial solution?

Understanding why Ax=0 only has a trivial solution is important because it is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is the basis for solving systems of linear equations. It also has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

2. What does it mean for a solution to be considered "trivial" in the context of Ax=0?

A trivial solution for Ax=0 means that the only possible solution for the equation is when all variables are equal to zero. In other words, there are no other non-zero solutions that satisfy the equation.

3. Why is the trivial solution the only solution for Ax=0?

The trivial solution is the only solution for Ax=0 because the equation represents a homogeneous system, where all terms are equal to zero. This means that any non-zero values for the variables would result in an inconsistent system, making the trivial solution the only possible solution.

4. How can we prove that Ax=0 only has a trivial solution?

The easiest way to prove that Ax=0 only has a trivial solution is by using the method of Gaussian elimination. This involves rewriting the equation in row-echelon form and determining the pivot variables. If there are no free variables (variables that can take any value), then the only solution is the trivial solution.

5. Can a non-trivial solution ever exist for Ax=0?

No, a non-trivial solution cannot exist for Ax=0. This is because the equation represents a system of linear equations that have no solutions, or the only solution is when all variables are equal to zero. Any non-zero values for the variables would result in an inconsistent system, making the trivial solution the only possible solution.