Question to find speed at terminal velocity with mass and the air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of terminal velocity for a supply package that did not open during a recent drop. The mass of the package is given as 35 kg and the air resistance factor is 0.8 kg/m. The formula for terminal velocity is v = (2mg)/(ρACd), where m is the mass, g is the gravitational acceleration, ρ is the air density, A is the reference area, Cd is the drag coefficient, and v is the terminal velocity. The air resistance factor of 0.8 kg/m is not a unit used in the formula and the appropriate drag coefficient must be determined to solve for the terminal velocity.
anniegirl155
On a recent drop, one of the parachutes holding a supply package didn’t open. If the mass of the package was 35 kg and the drag or air resistance factor was 0.8 kg/m, at what speed did the package reach terminal velocity?

I am confused with this question mainly because of the unit used for air resistance. I would normally look to find net force by converting 35 kg to N (which is 343) and air resistance to N as well. But what gets me is the air resistance factor format. I looked online and saw that N= kg * m/s^2 but I do not know how to go about converting .8 kg/m (which is not in m/s^2 format), in order to subtract the two forces (fnet) and setting up the equation fnet = m(a) and solving for acceleration. No where online is an example of this process with "kg/m" as the air resistance, the closest thing I can find to that is "kg/m^3" which is air density. Thank you all who can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The terminal velocity can be calculated using the equation v = (2mg)/(ρACd), where m is the mass of the package, g is the gravitational acceleration, ρ is the air density, A is the reference area, Cd is the drag coefficient, and v is the terminal velocity. The air resistance factor of 0.8 kg/m is not a unit that is used in this equation. You will need to find the drag coefficient Cd for the package in order to solve for the terminal velocity.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity pulling the object down is equal to the force of air resistance pushing against it.

2. How does mass affect terminal velocity?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force of gravity acting on it. This means that a heavier object will have a higher terminal velocity than a lighter object. However, air resistance also increases with mass, so there is a point where these forces balance out and the object will no longer accelerate.

3. How does air resistance impact terminal velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid. As an object falls, the force of air resistance increases until it is equal to the force of gravity, at which point the object reaches terminal velocity.

4. Can the shape of an object affect its terminal velocity?

Yes, the shape of an object can greatly impact its terminal velocity. Objects with a larger surface area, such as a parachute, will experience more air resistance and therefore have a lower terminal velocity compared to objects with a smaller surface area.

5. How can you calculate the speed at terminal velocity?

The speed at terminal velocity can be calculated by dividing the object's weight by the force of air resistance. This can be represented by the formula: v = √(2mg/ρAC), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.