Post doc position, to call or not to call?

In summary, the individual applied for a postdoc position in a research lab in France and mentioned in their cover letter that they would call to confirm that their CV was received. They received an acknowledgment from the HR office stating that the review process may take a few weeks and to consider their application unsuccessful if they do not hear back within two months. They are now wondering if they should still follow up with a call, despite the email implying that it is unnecessary. Some advice suggests that calling can demonstrate interest and provide an opportunity to confirm that the CV was received.
ApeXaviour
Hi,

So I applied for a postdoc position for a research lab in France. In my cover letter to the PI (who's English) I wrote at the end:
"I will call you next week to make sure that you received my CV. Thank you for your time and consideration."

I received an acknowledgment of my application from their HR office which said:

"Thank you for your application for the position of Post-doctoral fellow...
Our review of resumes will take some weeks to be completed. If you do not hear from us within two months, then you may consider that your application has not been successful for this position."

Should I still call? I said I would, so it might seem inconsistent if I don't. However the email is fairly specific in its implication that follow-up contact is unnecessary (even though it would be to the PI directly and not HR)

So to call or not to call? Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, calling almost always helps. If nothing else it's an opportunity to demonstrate to them that you're actually interested in the position and this isn't just one CV out of a thousand that you've shotgunned the post-doc market with.

If you need an excuse, what you have is an email that the HR people got the CV. You want to make sure that the PI got the CV.

Fair points, and decent advice

Thank you.

1. Should I call to follow up on my post doc application?

It is generally acceptable to follow up on your post doc application, but it is important to do so in a professional manner. Consider sending an email to the hiring manager or contacting them through the university's human resources department. Keep your communication brief and polite, and avoid contacting them excessively.

2. What information should I include in my follow-up call or email?

In your follow-up communication, be sure to include your name, the position you applied for, and your reasons for contacting them. You may also want to briefly reiterate your qualifications and interest in the position. Avoid being too pushy or demanding, and always maintain a professional tone.

3. How long should I wait before following up on my application?

It is generally recommended to wait at least one to two weeks before following up on your application. This allows enough time for the hiring team to review and consider your application. If you have not heard back after this time, it is appropriate to reach out and inquire about the status of your application.

4. Is it appropriate to call the hiring manager directly?

It is generally not recommended to call the hiring manager directly. Instead, try to find a contact person through the university's human resources department or through the job posting. If you are unable to find a contact person, consider sending an email or calling the university's HR department to inquire about the status of your application.

5. What if I don't hear back after following up?

If you do not hear back after following up on your application, it is best to move on and continue your job search. Keep in mind that the hiring process can take time and there may be many candidates to consider. If you are not selected for the position, it is appropriate to reach out and ask for feedback on your application, which may help you in future job applications.