Determining Charge on Insulated Balls in Equilibrium

In summary: I could understand a bit better36 °is the angle between the threads. So what is the angle one thread encloses with the vertical?In summary, the balls have a charge of 0.8 each. The angle formed between the two threads is 36 degrees. The charge on each ball is 0.0097.
jesse james
Physics Help Computing Force

Homework Statement

Two insulated balls with a mass of 0.8g each are suspended on 25 cm threads from the same point on the ceiling. Each ball has a equal positive charge. The angle formed between the two threads is 36 degrees. What is the charge on each ball?

Homework Equations

unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unable to even begin to start on this problem any help would be much appreciated even if just telling what equations i need to be working with I assume I need to be something witht he equation of gravity and force

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on reading your problem i think is it about computing the coulomb force. Am i right?

Homework Statement

2 equally charged spheres both weighing 0.8g are hanging from 25cm of thread... As a result of the equal positive charge placed on each ball they spread apart forming an angle of 36 degrees between the threads. What is the charge on each ball?

**almost identical to the question posted and solved here**
** https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=571723 **

Homework Equations

F=k*q1*q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

this is how I worked through this using the problem posted above as a guide but I am getting the wrong answer

sin 54° = Ty/T
T = (m*g)/sin 54°
T=0.0008*9.8/sin 54°
T = 0.0097

Tx = T*cos 54°
Tx = (0.0097)*cos 54°
Tx = 0.0057 N

**so that math computed "Tx" and looking from the other problem that looks to be "F" in the equation listed for finding the charges I need**

**now shows equation to get the distance**

1/2*r = sin 36°
r = 1.18

**im pretty sure that is wrong but not sure how exactly but that number is way too big if my string is only 25cm**

ok so now I believe that's all the info i need to plug into the equation.

Tx = k*q2/r2
q = (Tx*r2/k)1/2

i put it into excell first figuring the Tx*r^2/k ...then getting the square root of that number..end up with

q=9.4*10^-7
which i believe is something like 94 uC

not sure on the conversion or really any of it as the listed answer is 83 nC..pretty sure i am messing up with my radius and maybe other places as well ...anyhelp would be greatly appreciated :)

What forces are acting on each ball? Remember for equilibrium the sum of the forces is zero.

Hi jesse james,

where that 54° angle comes from? The balls "spread apart forming an angle of 36 degrees between the threads."ehild

i tried with 36 and was still coming up with wrong asnswer anychance someone could work out the equations so I could understand i bit better

36 °is the angle between the threads. So what is the angle one thread encloses with the vertical?

ehild

i really don't know how to figure out the angles...i seen from the sample problem that he used 70° in his first equations and didnt know how he got it

I guess you study Maths and Physics. What about trying to solve the problem by yourself?
Those charged balls are in equilibrium. What does it mean on the forces exerted to one of the balls?

ehild

What is "Help computing unknown charge"?

"Help computing unknown charge" is a phrase that refers to seeking assistance or guidance in determining the value of an unknown electrical charge in a scientific experiment or calculation.

Why is it important to accurately compute unknown charges?

Accurately computing unknown charges is crucial in order to understand and analyze the behavior of electricity in a given system. It can also help in making predictions and solving problems related to electrical circuits and devices.

What are the different methods for computing unknown charges?

There are several methods for computing unknown charges, including using Coulomb's Law, Gauss's Law, and the Method of Images. Each method has its own advantages and is best suited for different scenarios.

What factors can affect the accuracy of computed unknown charges?

The accuracy of computed unknown charges can be affected by factors such as measurement errors, the presence of other charges in the system, and the limitations of the chosen method of computation.

How can I improve my skills in computing unknown charges?

Improving your skills in computing unknown charges can be achieved by practicing with different methods, understanding the principles behind each method, and seeking guidance from experts in the field.