O: How to solve a 4th order non linear ODE using power series?

• Thread starter Koubaros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear Ode
In summary: K:In summary, Daniel is trying to solve a 4th order nonlinear ODE but is having trouble doing so due to the complex nature of the equation. He suggests that power series might be a helpful tool in solving the equation.
Koubaros
Unfortunately, i have ended up with the following 4th order non linear ODE, in a problem i am recently trying to solve. If anyone could give me a hint on how to proceed or point out to me a useful set of notes that i could look into in order to solve it, it would be great.

c*y''''(x)+2*c*(1/x)*y'''(x)-y''(x)-(1/x)*y'(x)=0

c=constant

You can also take a look at the following link for the ODE
http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/download/o_koubaros/30374/360156/0/ODE.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maple returns the following solution :yuck:

y(x) = _C1+_C2*((-1/c)^(1/2)*x*BesselJ(0, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)+1/2*Pi*(-1/c)^(1/2)*x*(StruveH(0, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)*BesselJ(1, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)-StruveH(1, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)*BesselJ(0, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)))/(-1/c)^(1/2)+_C3*((-1/c)^(1/2)*x*BesselY(0, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)+1/2*Pi*(-1/c)^(1/2)*x*(StruveH(0, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)*BesselY(1, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)-StruveH(1, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)*BesselY(0, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)))/(-1/c)^(1/2)+_C4*Int(x*StruveH(0, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)*(BesselJ(0, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)*BesselY(1, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)-BesselJ(1, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)*BesselY(0, (-1/c)^(1/2)*x)), x)

Even though u can make the substitution
[tex] \frac{dy(x)}{dx} \rightarrow u(x) [/tex]
,which makes it a third order ODE,you cannot solve it exactly,because the coefficients are not constant.Actually the equation is very linear.I can assume u are not too familiar with the classification of ODE-s.Anyway,that's not relevant.
I assume a numerical method might work.Supply initial conditions for the function and its derivatives and a computer software might give you an approximate solution.

Daniel.

EDIT:Maple is a good one...Bessel & Struve... :tongue2:

EDIT 2:One minute faster,Tide! :tongue2:

Last edited:
Koubaros,

Incidentally, your DE is NOT nonlinear - it is LINEAR! :-)

Sorry

First of all, sorry for the non-linear mistype. Actually it was a "brain" mistype not a "typing" mistype. Anyhow, i was aware of the Maple solution but it does not do any good to me since my problem is rather complex and do need an elegant solution, in order to compare it with solutions from two other domains in my problem.

Unfortunately, it seems like i am going to have to go numerically with this one, which is something that i do not want because it will spoil the symmetry of the equations and of the solution.

Any1 got an idea besides the numericall part, i am all ears!

Power series

Hello, has anyone used power series to solve this? Although it's singular at 0, should still be able to get a solution. May look into it but will take time since these are messy and usually need to do a few simple ones before can go to a difficult one.

SD

What is a Non Linear 4th order ODE?

A Non Linear 4th order ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is an equation that involves a function and its derivatives up to the fourth order. This means that it contains terms involving the function, its first, second, third, and fourth derivatives.

What makes a 4th order ODE non linear?

A 4th order ODE is considered non linear if the function and its derivatives are not linearly related. This means that the function and its derivatives cannot be expressed as a multiple of each other or added or subtracted from each other.

How is a Non Linear 4th order ODE different from a Linear 4th order ODE?

A Linear 4th order ODE can be written in the form of a linear combination of the function and its derivatives, while a Non Linear 4th order ODE cannot be expressed in this way. This makes the solution to a Non Linear 4th order ODE more complex.

What are some real-life applications of Non Linear 4th order ODEs?

Non Linear 4th order ODEs are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model complex systems. Some examples include the movement of a pendulum, the motion of a spring, and the growth of a population.

What methods are used to solve Non Linear 4th order ODEs?

There are various methods for solving Non Linear 4th order ODEs, including numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, as well as analytical methods such as power series solutions and substitution methods. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and its initial conditions.