Interview questions

• Thread starter daigo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, these questions were asked as part of a job interview. The interviewer was looking for candidates who could quickly answer questions. Most of the questions should be answered within one minute.
daigo
These came up for a job interview and they had to be answered relatively quickly (most of them should be answered within one minute):

1) Prove the Law of Cosines (For any triangle: a^2=b^2 + c^2 - 2abcos(theta))

2) How much would you pay to play this game: You roll a die and are paid whatever amount comes up on the die. You are allowed to roll again if the number is 4 or above. You do not get to roll again if the number is 3 or below.

3) Give an algorithm to test if a number is prime in time better than O(n)

4) If you pick two numbers between 0 and 1, what is the probability that the product of those two numbers will be greater than .5

5) If you have a fair coin and want to simulate an event that has probability 1/3 and probability 2/3, how can you do that?

6) You have two robots placed randomly on the number line. When they land, they place a marker. You are to program the robots so that they meet, and you are given the following 3 commands: Go left, go right, or if you are on a marker, change strategy. Specify the two strategies so that the robots eventually meet.

7) Give an algorithm to reverse the order of the letters of each word in a sentence. Do not change the order of the words. For instance if your sentence is "I like cookies", this algorithm should return "I ekil seikooc"

8) What is happening in Greece? What countries are in trouble? Why is the Republic of Ireland in trouble? Why are the rest of the countries in trouble? Why do all the european banks have so much Greek debt?

9) There is a 5 game series, and you would like to bet on the outcome of the series. You have 100 dollars. If your team wins, you want to get 200 dollars at the end of the series, if they lose you want 0. The problem is that you can only bet on each individual game. How do you bet on each game?

10) You have a 6 barrel revolver with 2 bullets in it, placed side by side. You are going to play Russian Roulette. You play once and don't die. Do you spin the barrel again and then pull the trigger, or do you just pull the trigger?

11) You have two options. One has a strike price of 1300, one has a strike price of 1400. Which is cheaper and why?

12) What parameters would you need to price an option?

How many could you answer and how quickly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. What kind of job was it?

What kind of job was this for? How do you have a copy of the test? When I've taken employment tests, you were not allowed to take anything with you so that it can't be given out.

I just picked a few low hanging fruit.
2) 3.5 because the rule that makes you stop playing has no effect on the expected value.

7) While there are input letters take an input letter and see if it is a space. If it is not a space, put it into a LIFO queue. If it is a space, then take the letters off of the LIFO queue one at a time and print them, then print the space. When there are no more letters, take the letters off of the LIFO queue one at a time and print them. Stop.

10) Spin the barrel again for a 2/3 chance of surviving. If you pull the trigger without spinning you will have a 1/2 chance of surviving.

11) 1400 is cheaper because you subtract the strike price from the sale price to determine the value.

12) This one is weird. Options sell in a market that is independent of their underlying securities. However, in general, there is some correlation to: The underlying security, the strike price and the expiration date.

The OP is a student, I'd be careful about giving answers.

Evo said:
What kind of job was this for? How do you have a copy of the test? When I've taken employment tests, you were not allowed to take anything with you so that it can't be given out.
FIG @ GS, memory
Evo said:
The OP is a student, I'd be careful about giving answers.
Didn't ask for solutions, just wanted to discuss the aspects of getting jobs at these types of firms.

Here's some others asked at another company:

How many ridges are on a quarter?
How many libraries are in the U.S.?
How many traffic lights are in Manhattan?
Rank yourself from 1-10, 10 being the best in the following 5 qualities. The total cannot be greater than 35: Intellect, teamwork, communication, finance, attitude

daigo said:
Here's some others asked at another company:

How many ridges are on a quarter?
How many libraries are in the U.S.?
How many traffic lights are in Manhattan?

Physicists know this kind of question as "Fermi questions," after Enrico Fermi who liked to spring them on his students. The point is not the actual question or answer, but rather the process that you use to estimate an answer, within an order of magnitude or so.

A classic Fermi question is "How many piano tuners are there in Chicago?"

I wouldn't work there. I'd rather work somewhere they ask you easy questions - like, "How high can you count on your fingers and toes?" Except I'd need a slide rule to even answer that question.

Actually, some of these are easy; some I'd at least know how I wanted to start them, but would need to think about them for a few to refine my answer (the robot question, for example), and I wouldn't have a clue about #11 or #12. Plus, I couldn't answer #5, but at least I knew that immediately.

daigo said:
FIG @ GS, memory

FIG? Does that stand for Fortress Investment Group?...

daigo said:
These came up for a job interview and they had to be answered relatively quickly (most of them should be answered within one minute):

How many could you answer and how quickly?
From the math, probability, economis and financial questions and terms, I'd imagine this was a financial services company.

Well, I wouldn't qualify, but I like the questions. #5 is interesting, for example. Best I could come up with that with a fair coin you can chose between four things A,B,C, and D. So you flip until you hit either an A, or a B or C. So it has an answer as a limit. Can it be done easier?

MarcoD said:
Well, I wouldn't qualify, but I like the questions. #5 is interesting, for example. Best I could come up with that with a fair coin you can chose between four things A,B,C, and D. So you flip until you hit either an A, or a B or C. So it has an answer as a limit. Can it be done easier?

With enough coin flips, you could get close to 1/3 and 2/3 by merging several possible results into one category (4 heads & 3 heads out of 4 flips, for example), but it's impossible to get an exact multiple of 3 using only powers of 2.

BobG said:
With enough coin flips, you could get close to 1/3 and 2/3 by merging several possible results into one category (4 heads & 3 heads out of 4 flips, for example), but it's impossible to get an exact multiple of 3 using only powers of 2.

Yeah, I had the same conclusion. The answer has to be a 'limit.'

MarcoD said:
Yeah, I had the same conclusion. The answer has to be a 'limit.'
No, just flip twice, 2 heads is A, 1 head, 1 tail is B, 0 heads is ignored.

Jimmy Snyder said:
No, just flip twice, 2 heads is A, 1 head, 1 tails is B, 0 heads is ignored.

That's the same answer as I gave. (Chose between A,B,C and D with chance 1/4, but try again on D. )

Clearly, you use the coin to buy a 2/3-headed coin.

What about #2? Very sloppily I came up with less than 7, but I am very unsure about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
From the math, probability, economis and financial questions and terms, I'd imagine this was a financial services company.

I googled it. One of the questions is supposedly from a Goldman Sachs interview (according to google).

Does #9 have a solution?

These are typical google/facebook interviews.

I was successfully able to answer question #6 in one of my interviews.
6) You have two robots placed randomly on the number line. When they land, they place a marker. You are to program the robots so that they meet, and you are given the following 3 commands: Go left, go right, or if you are on a marker, change strategy. Specify the two strategies so that the robots eventually meet.

while(!markerSet) {

go left;
go left;
go right;
set marker;
};
while(!peerFound) {
go left;
}

7) Give an algorithm to reverse the order of the letters of each word in a sentence. Do not change the order of the words. For instance if your sentence is "I like cookies", this algorithm should return "I ekil seikooc"

for(c=each character in the string) {
if (c == NULL || c == 'space') {
while (!stackEmpty)) {
print(pop(stack));
}
}
if (c == NULL) {
break;
} else {
push(stack, c);
}
}

Last edited:
Yeah, these I found trivial. I didn't bother about them. And I didn't bother about #1 though I don't know the answer by heart.

I don't believe you got the right answers though. The #6 should be something like 'forall n: do n steps left, retreat, do n steps right, retreat' But the question is underspecified, you need to know that the robots take alternate turns.

The #7 is easy too. Should be something like: 'split on space, reverse the words, concatenate the result.' You didn't do anything that resembles that.

MarcoD said:
I don't believe you got the right answers though. The #6 should be something like 'forall n: do n steps left, retreat, do n steps right, retreat' But the question is underspecified, you need to know that the robots take alternate turns.

My answer is correct.

The logic is,
Move slow (left,left, right) in one direction until you find a marker set. And while moving, set the marker.

Once you find the marker set (that means, the other robot has visited this spot), move faster (continuous left), so you would eventually meet the other robot that is moving slower (left, left, right).
The #9 is easy too. Should be something like: 'split on space, reverse the words, concatenate the result.' You didn't do anything that resembles that.

I didn't expand the push() and pop(). Look for stack data structures.

I could do four of them for sure, and I could take a pretty good stab at about another three of them. Only having a minute each would be trouble, because I don't always think that quickly.

Oh, I understood that both robots drop a marker where they are dropped. My answer would work too. Now I look at it more closely, hmm, I guess you can't do something n times, so you're answer is better.

Hmm, I'll look at it again.

Jack21222 said:
I could do four of them for sure, and I could take a pretty good stab at about another three of them. Only having a minute each would be trouble, because I don't always think that quickly.

The only interesting for me was #9 I think. (But I didn't really bother doing most of them under a minute.)

Ah, I was afk for a moment. The trivial answer is 'walk left until you hit a marker, then double your speed.' Which is your answer. ;-) Ah well.

I am still annoyed about #9. I have the feeling it can't have a solution, but I am not sure why or how to prove it. Anyone?

Jimmy Snyder said:
I just picked a few low hanging fruit.
2) 3.5 because the rule that makes you stop playing has no effect on the expected value.

7) While there are input letters take an input letter and see if it is a space. If it is not a space, put it into a LIFO queue. If it is a space, then take the letters off of the LIFO queue one at a time and print them, then print the space. When there are no more letters, take the letters off of the LIFO queue one at a time and print them. Stop.

10) Spin the barrel again for a 2/3 chance of surviving. If you pull the trigger without spinning you will have a 1/2 chance of surviving.

11) 1400 is cheaper because you subtract the strike price from the sale price to determine the value.

12) This one is weird. Options sell in a market that is independent of their underlying securities. However, in general, there is some correlation to: The underlying security, the strike price and the expiration date.
Since people are trying to find answers, I'm restoring Jimmy's early post.

#2 from Jimmy I think is wrong. The expected value, I guessed, is: chance you get to the 1st throw * expected return on the 1st throw + chance you get to the 2nd throw * expected return on the 2nd throw + ... = 1.0 * 3.5 + 0.5 * 3.5 + 0.25 * 3.5 + ... = 7.

(Difference is that I read the question as if you get a return on each throw.)

(Hmm, I guess it's Jimmies interpretation? Which means 3.5 since it doesn't make sense to role a dice again if you got a better result than the expectancy?)

#10 from Jimmy is wrong I think. Spin the barrel for a 1/3 chance of dying, and pull the trigger for a 1/4 chance of dying. So you pull the trigger.

#11 I don't know either. You don't know if it's call or put, you don't know the spot price. If it's call, the lowest strike price is probably the best. Look here, monetary value.

MarcoD said:
#10 from Jimmy is wrong I think. Spin the barrel for a 1/3 chance of dying, and pull the trigger for a 1/4 chance of dying. So you pull the trigger.

I think this is correct. It can be shown this way.

1 2 3 4 + +

The numbers are the blank spaces, the +s are bullets. If you pulled the trigger on 1, you're safe to pull again. If you pulled the trigger on 2, you're safe. If you pulled the trigger on 3, you're safe. If you pulled the trigger on 4, you're dead. That's 1 in 4.

I am probably the only one who reads #9 as: an algorithm such that you end up either with exactly 200 or 0 in the end. Right?

Indeed, I was wrong about #10 the russian roulette and about #2, the die game.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of asking interview questions?</h2><p>The purpose of asking interview questions is to evaluate a candidate's skills, qualifications, and fit for a particular job. It helps the interviewer to gather information about the candidate's experience, knowledge, and personality to determine if they are a good fit for the role and the company.</p><h2>2. How should I prepare for an interview?</h2><p>To prepare for an interview, you should research the company and the job position, review your resume and qualifications, and practice common interview questions. It is also important to dress professionally, arrive on time, and have a positive attitude.</p><h2>3. What are some common interview questions?</h2><p>Some common interview questions include "Tell me about yourself", "What are your strengths and weaknesses?", "Why do you want to work for our company?", and "Can you give an example of a time when you faced a difficult situation and how you handled it?". These questions help the interviewer to learn more about the candidate's background, skills, and problem-solving abilities.</p><h2>4. How should I answer behavioral interview questions?</h2><p>When answering behavioral interview questions, it is important to use the STAR method: Situation, Task, Action, and Result. This means describing a specific situation, the task or challenge you faced, the action you took, and the result or outcome. This helps the interviewer to understand your thought process and problem-solving skills.</p><h2>5. Is it okay to ask questions during an interview?</h2><p>Yes, it is encouraged to ask questions during an interview. This shows your interest in the company and the position. However, make sure to ask relevant and thoughtful questions that have not already been answered during the interview. Avoid asking about salary and benefits until you have been offered the job.</p>

1. What is the purpose of asking interview questions?

The purpose of asking interview questions is to evaluate a candidate's skills, qualifications, and fit for a particular job. It helps the interviewer to gather information about the candidate's experience, knowledge, and personality to determine if they are a good fit for the role and the company.

2. How should I prepare for an interview?

To prepare for an interview, you should research the company and the job position, review your resume and qualifications, and practice common interview questions. It is also important to dress professionally, arrive on time, and have a positive attitude.

3. What are some common interview questions?

Some common interview questions include "Tell me about yourself", "What are your strengths and weaknesses?", "Why do you want to work for our company?", and "Can you give an example of a time when you faced a difficult situation and how you handled it?". These questions help the interviewer to learn more about the candidate's background, skills, and problem-solving abilities.

4. How should I answer behavioral interview questions?

When answering behavioral interview questions, it is important to use the STAR method: Situation, Task, Action, and Result. This means describing a specific situation, the task or challenge you faced, the action you took, and the result or outcome. This helps the interviewer to understand your thought process and problem-solving skills.

5. Is it okay to ask questions during an interview?

Yes, it is encouraged to ask questions during an interview. This shows your interest in the company and the position. However, make sure to ask relevant and thoughtful questions that have not already been answered during the interview. Avoid asking about salary and benefits until you have been offered the job.