Another Isosceles Triangle Problem

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation is discussing an isosceles triangle and determining which side is the base and which angle is the vertex angle. The base is determined to be RT and the vertex angle is the angle at vertex S, which may also be written as \angle RST. The conversation also mentions potential blunders and apologizes for multiple posts due to a lack of an answer key.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

In isosceles triangle RST, RS = RT. Which side of the triangle is the base? Which angle is the vertex angle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the base is RT, and the vertex angle is S. I don't know the proper notation to name the line segment and the angle, though. How would you write the answer properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that? Draw a triangle and label the vertices R, S and T. RS is the segment connecting R and S. RT is the segment connecting R and T. What's the segment that is the base?

My goodness, I have made a few good blunders in these past two posts. It should actually be RS = ST

Bashyboy said:
My goodness, I have made a few good blunders in these past two posts. It should actually be RS = ST

Ok, then I'll agree with you. Base is RT and the vertex angle is the angle at vertex S. Sometimes you'll see that written as [itex]\angle RST[/itex].

Thank you so much. Sorry for all of the posts--I have a great geometry textbook I found, but no answer key to accompany it.

1. What is "Another Isosceles Triangle Problem"?

"Another Isosceles Triangle Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the missing angles and sides of an isosceles triangle, given certain information about the triangle.

2. What information is typically given in "Another Isosceles Triangle Problem"?

Usually, the problem will provide the length of one side and the measurement of one angle in the isosceles triangle. Sometimes, it may also give the measurement of another angle or the length of another side.

3. What is the key concept to keep in mind when solving "Another Isosceles Triangle Problem"?

The key concept is the fact that an isosceles triangle has two equal sides and two equal angles. This allows you to use specific equations and theorems to solve for the missing angles and sides.

4. Are there any special rules or formulas that can be used to solve "Another Isosceles Triangle Problem"?

Yes, there are several formulas and theorems that can be used to solve for the missing angles and sides in an isosceles triangle. These include the Pythagorean theorem, the angle sum property of triangles, and the properties of isosceles triangles.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Another Isosceles Triangle Problem"?

One common mistake is forgetting to take into account the fact that an isosceles triangle has two equal sides and two equal angles. Another mistake is using incorrect formulas or equations, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to double check your work and make sure it aligns with the given information and properties of isosceles triangles.