How vast is the subject of Mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the vastness of the field of mathematics and how it compares to physics. The speaker mentions that even focusing on a small subfield of mathematics, there are still more papers being published every day than one could possibly read. They also mention that some proofs can be thousands of pages long. While it is unknown if mathematics is more vast than physics, it would not be surprising. The speaker also notes that the long history of mathematics has not had much of an impact on its development, as there has been a significant growth in the field in the last 100 years.
MHD93
I hope my question is not that silly, because it interests me to know how big the knowledge of Mathematics has become after its long history, at least I need a simple comparison between it and Physics.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question is not silly at all. But the answer is difficult. It's hard to tell you how immense the field of mathematics is.

To give you an idea. Even if you were to focus on a small subfield of mathematics, there appear still more papers every day than you could possibly read.

And some proofs for theorems are 1000's of pages long. And that's just one result.

Whether it is more vast than physics, I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me.

It's long history as nothing much to do with it though. In the beginning of the 20th century, math wasn't that developed. But there was a real explosion the last 100 years.

1. How is mathematics defined?

Mathematics is the study of numbers, quantity, space, and change. It is a fundamental and abstract science that provides a framework for understanding the world around us and solving complex problems.

2. Can mathematics be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, mathematics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, finance, science, and technology. It helps us make accurate predictions, solve problems, and make informed decisions.

3. What are the different branches of mathematics?

The main branches of mathematics include algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and number theory. There are also many subfields and specialized areas, such as differential equations, graph theory, and topology.

4. How has mathematics evolved over time?

Mathematics has a long and rich history, dating back to ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians, Babylonians, and Greeks. It has evolved and developed through contributions from many cultures and individuals, leading to the diverse and complex subject it is today.

5. Is mathematics a difficult subject to learn?

Mathematics can be challenging, but with dedication and practice, anyone can learn and understand it. It is a subject that requires logical thinking, problem-solving skills, and a strong foundation in basic concepts.