Find Large Pictures to Fit A0 Paper at 300 DPI

• Thread starter dirk_mec1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, the conversation is about the OP looking for large pictures to print as a wallpaper on A0 paper with a resolution of at least 300 dpi. They have searched on Google for wallpapers but have not found any that fit their requirements. One person suggests selling their own large stitched photos but the OP is looking for free images. Others suggest buying posters or using specialized equipment to create their own images. The conversation also discusses the resolution and distance at which the images will be viewed.
dirk_mec1
I'm looking for large pictures. I want to print a wallpaper on a A0-paper (on a plotter) with the normal 300 DPI. I've used google to search for wallpapers 'greater than' but I end up with pictures that won't fit A0 with 300 DPI (they're in fact smaller).

I'm thus looking for a website for very large pictures (scenery, bridges, cities and so on) that will fit A0 paper with a very nice resolution (at least 300dpi). Can somebody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a few very large stitched photos of natural landscapes that can be printed A0 size at 300 dpi. If you're willing to go to 200 dpi (which still shows remarkable fine detail in a photographic print), I have more choices.

However, I would want to sell you prints directly rather than sell you a huge-resolution file that you can print yourself. These are prints exposed onto traditional photographic paper by laser light, and developed using traditional chemistry; they will look far better than an inkjet from your plotter. Since you want A0, I assume you are in Britain, but I think something could be worked out with a lab there.

In fact, I've been putting together a web store to sell my prints, and was planning to go live today. I feel I should ask the mods permission to post a link, since it's effectively an advertisement. I can certainly PM you, though.

Ok, but I'm actually looking for free pictures... And 200 dpi is still less than 300 and is noticeable. By the way I'm not from the UK.

a 300 dpi print on A0 paper requires an image size of about 14100 x 9900 pixels. I agree with Ben- you have to deal with stitched photos (or look for graphic design works generated directly on a computer).

For example, Better Light's scanning backs only go up to about 8k x 10k:

http://www.betterlight.com/fullRes_zoomifyLIST.html

One of my colleagues has a GigaPan- the site has some images, but I don't know if they are available for download:

http://www.gigapan.com/

I've made an account but I'm unable to download these beautiful large pictures.

dirk_mec1 said:
Ok, but I'm actually looking for free pictures...

Then maybe you should make the picture yourself. These kinds of things take time and effort to create, not to mention specialized equipment and software (and hiking for miles with said specialized -- and heavy -- equipment). You should expect to pay at least a few thousand dollars for a finished print of such an image.

Last edited:
I doubt you will find large images on internet for free.

I don't understand why you going through all of this when you can simply buy landscapes for less than a buck from those street sellers.

You can also buy landscapes or posters online from websites like demotivators and many-many others. If I were buy one, I would try Nat-Geo or BBC.

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/landscapes/

Last edited:
dirk_mec1 said:
By the way I'm not from the UK.

I guess there are not too many countries with people named Dirk, like my uncle.

rootX said:
I doubt you will find large images on internet for free.

I don't understand why you going through all of this when you can simply buy landscapes for less than a buck from those street sellers.

You can also buy landscapes or posters online from websites like demotivators and many-many others. If I were buy one, I would try Nat-Geo or BBC.

You can buy posters very cheaply, but posters are mass-printed with pigment inks (not a photographic process), and at resolutions of 50-80 dpi. I think the OP wanted something more impressive to look at.

Ben Niehoff said:
I think the OP wanted something more impressive to look at.
At what distance?! 300 dpi is really, really high. I'd be surprised if the human eye can tell the difference between 150 and 300 at a distance of under a foot.

russ_watters said:
At what distance?! 300 dpi is really, really high. I'd be surprised if the human eye can tell the difference between 150 and 300 at a distance of under a foot.
The average human eye can resolve angular separations down to about 1 arc-minute. At 300 dpi, that corresponds to almost exactly 1 foot of separation. Unless people are going to be burying their noses in these prints, I see no good reason for the super-high resolution.

russ_watters said:

A normal page is printen on 300 DPI so, that's not really really high. Furthermore, I want to put them in my room where a distance of 1 foot can occur.

gravenewworld said:
largest picture in the world?

272 gigapixels:

http://www.shanghai-272-gigapixels.com/
Nice, but I can't download it and thus print it.

Ben Niehoff said:
You can buy posters very cheaply, but posters are mass-printed with pigment inks (not a photographic process), and at resolutions of 50-80 dpi. I think the OP wanted something more impressive to look at.
Read my mind exactly.

Does anyone else has a suggestion?

1. How do I find large pictures that will fit on A0 paper at 300 DPI?

To find large pictures that will fit on A0 paper at 300 DPI, you can use a search engine like Google or Bing and specify the image size and resolution in your search terms. You can also use image editing software like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP to resize and adjust the resolution of images to fit your desired dimensions.

2. What is the recommended resolution for images to be printed on A0 paper?

The recommended resolution for images to be printed on A0 paper is 300 DPI (dots per inch). This ensures that the image will have high quality and sharpness when printed at its intended size.

3. Can I use images with a resolution lower than 300 DPI for printing on A0 paper?

Technically, you can use images with a lower resolution for printing on A0 paper. However, the image quality may suffer and appear pixelated or blurry when printed at a larger size. It is recommended to use images with a resolution of at least 300 DPI for optimal print quality.

4. How can I check the DPI of an image?

You can check the DPI of an image by opening it in image editing software like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP and viewing the image properties. In most cases, the DPI information will be listed under the image size or dimensions.

5. Are there any online resources for finding large images at 300 DPI for A0 paper?

Yes, there are several online resources that offer high-quality images at 300 DPI for printing on A0 paper. Some examples include stock image websites like Shutterstock or Getty Images, which allow you to search for images by size and resolution. You can also find free high-resolution images on websites like Unsplash or Pexels.