Integration by Parts and Substitution: Solving Complex Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration by parts and substitution in solving a mathematical problem. The speaker is confused about the value of z and the use of the formula uv - integral of vdu. They are advised to look up tabular integration and other examples in the book to better understand the concept.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-05-19at80808PM.png

Homework Equations

uv - integral of vdu

The Attempt at a Solution

They don't seem to be using the integration by parts formula here. I don't understand why why they don't have a value for what z equals. dz = eu. well, what does z equal. I would think it would be the same thing. Next I don't anywhere where they're using the uv - integral of vdu formula. very bizarre.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're quite right for what z is. As for integration by parts, they are using it - I recommend looking up tabular integration.

actually, i relooked at the question and they said they want me to use substitution in combination with integration by parts, so I'm going to have to look at some of the other examples in the book and see if they have a worked example for this type of problem.

1. What is the integration by parts formula?

The integration by parts formula is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and is often used when the standard integration techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions, are not applicable.

2. How does the integration by parts formula work?

The integration by parts formula involves breaking down a single integral into two parts, with one part being the product of two functions and the other part being the derivative of one of the original functions. This allows us to simplify the integral and solve for the unknown function.

3. When should I use the integration by parts formula?

The integration by parts formula is useful when the integral involves a product of functions that cannot be easily integrated using other techniques. It is also helpful when the integral involves a polynomial multiplied by a trigonometric function or an exponential function.

4. What is the general formula for integration by parts?

The general formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and dv and du are their respective differentials. This formula is derived from the product rule of differentiation.

5. Are there any tips for using the integration by parts formula?

Yes, there are a few tips that can make using the integration by parts formula easier. It is important to choose u and dv carefully, with u being a function that becomes simpler when differentiated and dv being a function that can be easily integrated. Additionally, it is helpful to use the formula multiple times if necessary to simplify the integral further.