When should calculators be introduced to the curriculum?

In summary, I think it would be a good idea to introduce kids to the use of calculators from a young age, but only as an aid to estimating problems and not for doing arithmetic.
lurflurf:

"Who here can compute 357*79135=28251195 in less than 1.0 milliseconds?"

the teacher's problem is the kid who reads off 357*79135=2825119, and does not realize it is wrong even after much more than a millisecond.

Science news on Phys.org
If the teaching is done correctly, I don't think it matters too much when calculators are introduced. Basic four function calculators were introduced to me around the age of 9 or 10, scientific calculators in junior high, and graphing calculators in high school. If anything, having access to calculators at such a young age actually piqued my interest in mathematics ("How does it do that?!"). Calculators never really presented a hindrance to my learning anyway, due to the fact that none of my teachers, from algebra 1 to calculus 2, allowed the use of calculators of any sort during tests. The arithmetic was kept simple enough and the focus was put on the mathematical manipulations.

Calculators should be allowed in courses after trig to speed things up. By the time students get to calculus they know when to rely on a calculator (arithmetic, trig functions that aren't based off 30 or 45 degrees, similar ideas...). A student shouldn't be held up on a multi-variable integration problem because they can't do longhand multiplication quickly. They still know how to do the multiplication, but it would just take a long time.