Upper and lower Riemann integrals of The Riemann Stieltjes Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute the trace of a matrix and defines the trace as the sum of the diagonal elements. The formula for calculating the trace is also provided.
foxofdesert

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=48924&stc=1&d=1341634111.gif

Homework Equations

attachment.php?attachmentid=48925&stc=1&d=1341634333.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=48926&stc=1&d=1341634506.gif

This is what I got so far. I haven't seen any similar problems like this, and this is my first attempt here. I wonder if I did it right. Can anyone check this for me?

If you need additional explains or questions, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 561
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    867 bytes · Views: 532
  • 3.gif
    3.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
Let A be an n x n matrix with entries a_ij. Compute the trace of A, Tr(A). The trace of A is defined as the sum of the diagonal elements i.e. $\sum_{i=1}^{n} a_{ii}$. Therefore, Tr(A) = $\sum_{i=1}^{n} a_{ii}$

1. What is the difference between upper and lower Riemann integrals?

The upper Riemann integral is the largest possible value that the integral can take, while the lower Riemann integral is the smallest possible value. In other words, the upper Riemann integral is the supremum of all possible sums, while the lower Riemann integral is the infimum.

2. How are the upper and lower Riemann integrals related to the Riemann-Stieltjes integral?

The Riemann-Stieltjes integral is a generalization of the Riemann integral, where the integral is taken with respect to a general function instead of just the variable x. The upper and lower Riemann integrals are used to define the Riemann-Stieltjes integral, with the upper integral corresponding to the upper sum and the lower integral corresponding to the lower sum.

3. How are the upper and lower Riemann integrals calculated?

The upper and lower Riemann integrals can be calculated using the Riemann sum method, where the interval is divided into smaller subintervals and the supremum or infimum of each subinterval is taken. As the number of subintervals increases, the upper and lower sums approach the upper and lower Riemann integrals, respectively.

4. What is the significance of the upper and lower Riemann integrals in real-world applications?

The upper and lower Riemann integrals are important in the study of continuous functions and their integrals. They are used to approximate the area under a curve, and can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. In real-world applications, they are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can the upper and lower Riemann integrals be equal?

Yes, the upper and lower Riemann integrals can be equal in certain cases. This occurs when the function being integrated is constant over the interval of integration. In this case, the upper and lower sums will be equal, resulting in the same value for both the upper and lower Riemann integrals.