Getting Rid of Adware: My Big Problem

• Thread starter misogynisticfeminist
  • Start date
In summary, someone has installed adware on their computer and it's causing problems. Steps to take in order to remove the adware are: Boot into safe mode, run anti-virus software, spybot and adaware, and reformat if needed.
misogynisticfeminist
I've got a problem with adware on my comp, a very big problem. I've tried programmes like spybot and adaware but it still cannot remove it. The thing is that, a HTML becomes my wallpaper because I've right clicked on it and checked. The path is c:\windows\web\desktop.html I've tried deleting it but it comes back again.

The HTML wallpaper essentially warns me of spyware, but I doubt that it is official (by windows) because there are a few grammatical errors. I also receive a warning with a yellow triangle and black exclamation mark, warning me that my computer has spyware. I don't know if this is by windows or not, but I doubt it is. Because it leads me to one of those search sites (with tons of ads) displaying links to anti-spyware products. The best part is, these spyware is on a trail basis, and you can't remove any spyware from ur comp unless you pay.

How do I get rid of it?

Thanks alot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
misogynisticfeminist said:
The HTML wallpaper essentially warns me of spyware, but I doubt that it is official (by windows) because there are a few grammatical errors.

Even windows isn't enough of a disease to do that. You don't just have spyware, you've got trojans, and probably up the wazoo.

I also receive a warning with a yellow triangle and black exclamation mark, warning me that my computer has spyware. I don't know if this is by windows or not, but I doubt it is.

Windows will never give you a message like that.

Because it leads me to one of those search sites (with tons of ads) displaying links to anti-spyware products. The best part is, these spyware is on a trail basis, and you can't remove any spyware from ur comp unless you pay.

How do I get rid of it?

Thanks alot.

Boot into safemode, run anti virals, spybot and adaware. If that doesn't work, my recommendation would be reformatting, but depending on your usage that may or mya not be feasible.

MOral of the story:

Don't dowload anything you don't need. (yes you did).
Don't use IE.
Don't use outlook.
Heck, don't use windows (is my bias showing yet?)
Don't use email as an FTP.

Seriously though, safemode, then run those, and pray. Make sure your definitions are updated.

My brothers mucked up a computer once, so badly you couldn't turn it on without about five IE windows opening themselves, trojans up the wazoo. Every time i rebooted and scanned, i'd find new trojans. As many as five or so every time. I just gave up and wiped the hard drive after a week of trying to clean it. I saved all the important documents, in their most stripped down (usually .txt) versions, and let everything else go.

lol to the windows part.

I have tried rebooting in safe mode to no avail. I guess I'lll reboot my comp then. Thanks alot...

lol to the windows part.

I have tried rebooting in safe mode to no avail. I guess I'lll reboot my comp then. Thanks alot...

Someone here might have another idea, but yeah, if running everything in safe mode doesn't fix it, i don't know. You could send it into a shop and get it fixed, but that can be ungodly expensive. If there is nothing critical on there, i would just reformat and reinstall, start with a clean slate.

But like i said, someone else here might have another idea...

I also receive a warning with a yellow triangle and black exclamation mark, warning me that my computer has spyware. I don't know if this is by windows or not, but I doubt it is. Because it leads me to one of those search sites (with tons of ads) displaying links to anti-spyware products.

Sounds more like an annoying pop-up. You may have inadvertently clicked on a link on some site.

1) Look for cookies that link back to the site (see 4).

2) You may have to search manually for files that are related to adware program.

3) You may need to increase security levels in the internet browser. Also, look into a pop-up blocker.

4) On an html page, click the right mouse button and select "view source". This may give you an idea of origin of the offending software. You could then block that site.

5) You might have to edit the registry, and remove the link the site or popup. *WARNING* - if you do not have experience with editing the registry, be very careful or get someone who has experience.

Last edited:
Adware is very hard to get rid of. Do these steps exactly. They may help, you may need to tweak the setting on Adaware to make it more powerful:

1. Download and install Adaware (free edition). (Click on "Adaware" in the left-hand column near the top at their website to download the free edition.)

2. After installing go to Start > Programs > Lavasoft and click on AdAware 6 to open the program

3. Look at the icons on the top right of the page and click on the ‘world’ and let AdAware update the spyware reference list (Note: Always update Adaware before you scan.)

4. Once the update is finished click on the ‘Gear’ icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window

1. In the ‘General’ window make sure the following are selected:
· Automatically save log-file
· Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
· Safe Mode (always request confirmation)

2. Click on the ‘Scanning’ button on the left and select :
· Scan Within Archives
· Scan Active Processes
· Scan Registry
· Deep Scan Registry
· Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
· Scan my Hosts file
· Under ‘Click here to select drives + folders’, choose:
· All of your hard drives

3. Click on the ‘Advanced’ button on the left and select:
· Include additional process information
· Include additional file information
· Include environment information
· Include additional object details

4. Click the ‘Tweak’ button and select:
· Under the ‘Scanning Engine’:
· Unload recognized processes during scanning
· Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile
· Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
· Under the ‘Cleaning Engine’:
· Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

5. Click on ‘Proceed’ to save the settings.

6. Click ‘Start’ and on the next screen choose ‘Activate in-depth Scan’ at the bottom of the page and then choose:
· Use Custom Scanning Options

7. Click ‘Next’ and AdAware will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected.

8. Save the log file when it asks and then click ‘finish’

9. REBOOT

Also download spybot

1. Next, download and install Spybot Search and Destroy.

2. Go to Start > Programs >Spybot - Search & Destroy and choose ‘Spybot S&D - easy mode’

3. Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D

4. Click the button to ‘Search for Updates’ and download and install the Updates.

5. Next click the button ‘Check for Problems’

6. When Spybot is complete, it will be showing ‘RED’ entries ‘BLACK’ entries and ‘GREEN’ entries in the window

7. Put a check mark beside the RED entries ONLY.

8. Choose ‘Fix Selected Problems’ and allow Spybot to fix the RED entries.

9. REBOOT

run house call

HOUSECALL

Then please go to HouseCall Free Online Virus Scanner, http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame ,
and run the online virus scan. Please select the Autoclean option when prompted

Downlaod and run the latest version of CWshredder.

Finally download and run hijackthis! I'm pretty sure you can get it at www.download.com[/url]. If not just search google. Post the results of you hijackthis log on a professional computer help forum like [url]www.computercops.biz[/URL] for help. Do not delete anything the log lists unless you know what you are doing.

You can find any of the programs that I said on the internet for free. After you clean your computer [B][FONT=Arial Black]I would highly recommend that you download mozilla firefox and use it as your primary browser[/FONT][/B]. Don't use Internet Explorer, it simply sucks. Adware messes with the windows registry which can get very sticky when you try to fix it back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also run an anti viral program with the latest definitions like mcafee or something like that. I have also gotten new spyware that seemed immune to adaware and spybot, however, I was able to get rid of it by downloading a trial version of GIANT antispyware. It worked very well. You can also give that a try.

1. What is adware and how does it affect my computer?

Adware is a type of malicious software that displays unwanted advertisements and collects user information without their consent. It can slow down your computer's performance and compromise your privacy.

2. How did I get adware on my computer?

Adware can be installed on your computer through various methods such as downloading free software, clicking on pop-up ads, or visiting infected websites. It can also come bundled with legitimate software.

3. What are some signs that my computer has adware?

Some common signs of adware include excessive pop-up ads, browser redirects to unknown websites, changes in your browser's homepage or search engine, and slow computer performance.

4. How can I remove adware from my computer?

To remove adware, you can use reputable anti-malware software to scan and detect any malicious programs on your computer. You can also manually uninstall any suspicious programs from your control panel and reset your browser settings to default.

5. How can I prevent adware from infecting my computer?

To prevent adware, it is important to be cautious of what you download and click on while browsing the internet. Avoid downloading software from unknown sources, and always read the terms and conditions before installing any software. It is also recommended to keep your anti-virus and anti-malware software up to date.