Wind speed calculation from a pressure setting

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Textest FX3300 Air Permeability tester to measure the wind speed and air permeability of fabrics. The person is wondering if different pressure settings on the machine will result in different wind speeds, and if there is a way to determine how much wind protection a fabric provides based on its air permeability measurement. They also mention that while wind typically does not go through clothing, a straight calculation can still provide a conservative estimate. The conversation ends with a suggested resource for determining wind pressure and a brief discussion on how "protection" is defined in this context.
cowpup
I have been out of school a long time, so please go easy on me. If the answer is an equation with symbols or letters, could you please help define them for me?

I am trying to calculate the windspeed flowing through a tube with circular opening that is 38cm2 when the vacuum creating the wind is set at a 125pa pressure. I have the ability to change the pressure setting and am wondering if different pressures equate to different windspeeds.
The machine that creates these conditions is a Textest FX3300 Air Permeability tester. It is intended for the use of putting a fabric over the top of tube (38cm2 area opening) and measuring the air permeability of the fabric. The output measurement at these settings is in cfm.
I'm am looking for a way to equate lab results with wind speed,, is there a way to say how much wind protection a particular fabric will give you. For instance, if a fabric has 0cfm airpermeability at the above settings, is it blocking a 15mph wind?, a 30mph wind?

I do understand that in the real world, wind does not only go through your clothing , the majority of it probably goes around your body like a cylander, but it seems like that would mean a straight calculation is erring on the conservative side which would be ok.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps see..

http://www.knmi.nl/samenw/hydra/faq/press.html

That will give you a rough guide to the wind pressure for a given wind speed but how do you define "protection"?

Presumably there is a figure for the air leakage above which you consider "protection" has been lost?

Thanks, I'll try that.
As far as defining "protection", under 1cfm of air permeability is generally considered insensible for windchill.

1. How is wind speed calculated from a pressure setting?

The wind speed can be calculated using the pressure gradient force equation, which is based on the relationship between pressure and wind speed. This equation takes into account the pressure difference between two points and the distance between those points.

2. What instruments are used to measure pressure and calculate wind speed?

Barometers and anemometers are commonly used to measure pressure and wind speed, respectively. Barometers measure atmospheric pressure while anemometers measure wind speed and direction.

3. Are there any external factors that can affect the accuracy of wind speed calculations from a pressure setting?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of wind speed calculations. These include changes in atmospheric conditions, such as temperature and humidity, as well as local topography and obstructions that can alter wind flow patterns.

4. Can wind speed be accurately calculated using only one pressure reading?

No, wind speed cannot be accurately calculated using only one pressure reading. The pressure gradient force equation requires at least two pressure readings at different locations to accurately calculate wind speed.

5. How is wind speed calculated on a larger scale, such as for weather forecasting?

On a larger scale, wind speed is calculated using a combination of data from various sources, such as satellite imagery, weather balloons, and ground-based weather stations. This data is then processed and analyzed using computer models to produce forecasts of wind speed and other weather parameters.