Optics - Spectacles lens Power Estimation

In summary, Chaitanya, a 4th year undergraduate student in biomedical engineering, has an idea for a mobile application that measures the power of spectacle glasses using the phone's camera. The idea involves taking an image with half of it covered by the lens and using image processing to estimate the lens power. Chaitanya has two questions: 1) Can this be done and 2) How long would the project take? They also mention the possibility of instructing the user to place the object and camera at a fixed distance to improve accuracy. Chaitanya plans to read more about adaptive optics and follow up on the idea.
Kaycee92
Hi,

I'm Chaitanya, 4th year undergraduate student in biomedical engg.

I have an idea of making a mobile phone application which measures the power of your spectacle glasses.

The idea is we take an image with the phone's inbuilt camera. One of the spectacle lens will be held in front of the camera such that it covers roughly half of the image.

In this way, one half of the image (lens half) will be nearer than the other half.

So, my questions are:

1. Can I do some image processing and give an estimation of the power of the lens?

2. How much time could this project take?

Thanks,
Chaitanya.

Science news on Phys.org
Glasses do more than shifting the effective distance of an object - and their influence depends on their distance to the object and the distance to the camera, two unknown parameters. In addition, modern glasses often have more than one parameter.

It is possible to measure those parameters with test images with/without lenses in between, I did this as lab course (just more astronomy-related), but this used special hardware. It should be possible without, too.

Maybe we can instruct the user to place the object and the camera at some fixed distance. This might help in getting an accurate reading.

I'll go through that adaptive optics page and get back to you.

Thanks a lot! :)

1. How is the power of a spectacle lens measured?

The power of a spectacle lens is measured in units called diopters (D). Diopters indicate the amount of refraction, or bending of light, that occurs when it passes through the lens. This measurement is determined by the curvature of the lens and is typically prescribed by an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

2. What is the purpose of estimating the power of a spectacle lens?

Estimating the power of a spectacle lens is important for determining the correct prescription needed to correct a person's vision. The power of the lens will determine how much light is refracted and focused onto the retina, resulting in clearer vision.

3. How does the shape of a lens affect its power?

The shape of a lens, specifically its curvature, directly affects its power. A lens with a steeper curve will have a higher power, while a lens with a flatter curve will have a lower power. This is because a steeper curve causes more bending of light, resulting in a stronger refraction.

4. Can the power of a lens change over time?

Yes, the power of a lens can change over time. This is especially common in people with progressive or degenerative eye conditions, as well as in those who have undergone eye surgery. It is important to regularly visit an eye doctor to monitor any changes in lens power and ensure the correct prescription is being used.

5. What are the factors that can affect the estimation of lens power?

The main factors that can affect the estimation of lens power include the curvature of the cornea, the length of the eyeball, and the overall health of the eye. These factors can vary from person to person and can also change over time, making it important to regularly reassess and adjust lens power as needed.