Rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions

In summary, to rotate around a given vector in 3 dimensions, you need to find its rotation matrix, which is determinant 1 and has R^T = R^-1. You can do this by considering a change of basis in the matrix sense.
Matt Benesi
I can easily visualize the 3 dimensional way to do so, and already have.

I'd like to rotate from the (-1,-1,-1,-1) -- (1,1,1,1) line to the x-axis (-1,0,0,0) -- (1,0,0,0).

To do so in 3 dimensions (-1,-1,-1) -- (1,1,1) line to the x-axis (-1,0,0) -- (1,0,0)

I rotated around the z axis (xy plane) by pi/2 - acos(sqrt(1/2))= pi/4

Next I rotated around the y-axis (zx plane) by pi/2 - acos (sqrt(2/3)) *** I had to use this angle because the x portion had already been rotated with the y portion

This got me to the x axis.

Should I just rotate around the xw plane?

I'm assuming the 3rd angle would be pi/2 - acos(sqrt(3/4)) because I will have to take into account the 2 previous x rotations.

The reason is I'm modifying a fractal's 4 dimensional formula:

2nd%2520order%2520stalk.jpg

MODS- don't know if this is the correct forum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with quaternions? The 4d analogue to quaternions is very easy to work with, and all it requires is information about the plane of rotation (which is easy to get here, since you clearly explained what you want the original and final vectors to be). There would be no need to break the rotation down into a series of rotations in unit planes.

Likes Matt Benesi
Hey Matt Benesi.

Basically for a rotation, you need to an axis rotate around and an angle to rotate around for.

If you look at points only you need to find a normal vector that is normal to the sub-space formed by linear combinations of the two vectors. So in point form you have (-1,-1,-1,-1) to (1, 0, 0, 0) as your start and final points, and you need a basis for this.

The basis can be found by the use of Gram-Schmidt in a modified way where you start with this two vectors and create a right-handed basis by finding for each new vector an n such that n . r = 0 where r is basically the sum of all your previous basis vectors with the rest normalized: you then choose free values for the components of n and make it satisfy that equation and then normalize that vector.

What will happen is if the orientation is kept right, you will generate a rotation matrix with determinant 1 and R^T = R^-1 that can be applied to the vector.

In terms of getting the actual transformation you will need to consider a change of basis in the matrix sense.

Basically you know that Ax = y and Bx = z where A is the basis for one system and B is for the other. But x = A^(-1)y which means BA^(-1)y = z and depending on which quantity you want, then you get y or z since both and A are invertible (and it's easy to calculate since any rotation matrix has its inverse as its tranpose).

If you keep the orientation right throughout the process, this should work for any dimension.

Likes Matt Benesi

1. What is rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions?

Rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions is a mathematical concept that describes the movement of an object or coordinate system in four-dimensional space. It involves rotating an object or coordinate system around one or more axes to change its orientation.

2. How is rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions different from rotation in 3 dimensions?

In 3-dimensional space, rotation involves rotating an object or coordinate system around three axes: x, y, and z. However, in 4-dimensional space, there is an additional axis, known as the w-axis, which must also be considered when performing rotations. This extra dimension adds complexity to the rotation process.

3. What is the mathematical representation of rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions?

The mathematical representation of rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions is through the use of quaternions. Quaternions are a set of four numbers that represent a point in 4-dimensional space. They are used to calculate the rotation around each axis and combine the rotations to determine the final orientation of the object or coordinate system.

4. What is the practical application of rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions?

Rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions has many practical applications, particularly in computer graphics and animation. It is used to create complex 3D animations and simulations, as well as in video games and virtual reality. It also has applications in physics and engineering, such as in studying the movement of objects in four-dimensional space.

5. Are there any real-world examples of rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions?

While it is difficult to visualize four-dimensional space, there are some real-world examples that can help illustrate the concept of rotation from axis to axis in 4 dimensions. One example is a tesseract, also known as a hypercube, which is a 4-dimensional cube that can be rotated around its 4 axes. Another example is the rotation of a 4-dimensional sphere, known as a hypersphere, around its 3-dimensional equator.