Is 11 a Prime in the Non-UFD Ring Z[sqrt{-5}]?

• Thread starter bessletama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that 11 is a prime in the ring \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}]. It is mentioned that \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}] is not a unique factorization domain and that an ideal is prime if and only if the quotient ring is a domain. The possibility of showing that \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}]/(11)\cong\mathbb{Z}_{11}[x]/(x^2+1) is discussed, and it is noted that this would prove that \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}] is a domain. The conversation also mentions the idea of finding a square root of -5 in the
bessletama
I am trying to prove that [itex]11[/itex] is a prime in [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex].

I noticed that [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex] is not a UFD so I cannot show that it is irreducible then conclude it is prime.

I know that that an ideal is prime if and only if the quotient ring is a domain.
I was wondering if it is correct for me to show that
[itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}]/(11)\cong\mathbb{Z}_{11}[x]/(x^2+1)[/itex]
If this is true then I can conclude that [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex] is a domain because
[itex]\mathbb{Z}_{11}[x]/(x^2+1)[/itex] is a finite field.
Thank you

EDIT: OMG, Made a huge typo originally. The ring is [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex] not [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{5}][/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bessletama said:
I am trying to prove that [itex]11[/itex] is a prime in [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{5}][/itex].

I noticed that [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{5}][/itex] is not a UFD so I cannot show that it is irreducible then conclude it is prime.

I know that that an ideal is prime if and only if the quotient ring is a domain.
I was wondering if it is correct for me to show that
[itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{5}]/(11)\cong\mathbb{Z}_{11}[x]/(x^2+1)[/itex]
If this is true then I can conclude that [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{5}][/itex] is a domain because
[itex]\mathbb{Z}_{11}[x]/(x^2+1)[/itex] is a finite field.
Thank you

You could conclude that if you can show the isomorphism [itex]\,\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{5}]/(11)\cong\mathbb{Z}_{11}[x]/(x^2+1)\,[/itex] .

In fact, you'd conclude something stronger: the ideal [itex]\,(11)\subset \Bbb Z[\sqrt 5]\,[/itex] is then maximal and thus prime.

DonAntonio

i guess the first step for me would be to try to find a square root of -5 in the ring Z11.

1. What is a non-UFD?

A non-UFD is a non-unique factorization domain, which means that not all elements in the domain can be uniquely factored into prime elements.

2. How do you determine if a number is prime in a non-UFD?

In a non-UFD, a number is prime if it cannot be factored into smaller non-unit elements. This means that it is not divisible by any other elements except for itself and 1.

3. Can a number be prime in a UFD but not in a non-UFD?

Yes, it is possible for a number to be prime in a UFD but not in a non-UFD. This is because in a UFD, all elements can be uniquely factored into prime elements, while in a non-UFD, some elements may have multiple factorizations.

4. What are some examples of non-UFDs?

Some examples of non-UFDs include polynomial rings over fields, Gaussian integers, and Eisenstein integers.

5. How is determining primality in a non-UFD different from a UFD?

In a UFD, determining primality is a straightforward process as all elements can be uniquely factored into primes. However, in a non-UFD, determining primality can be more complex as some elements may have multiple factorizations.