Thermodynamics question (propellant gas)

In summary, Jim found that the temperature and pressure would increase with the amount of propellant used in a rocket. He is unsure of how to accurately predict these values.
jelanier
I understand the ideal gas law equation and the use of the gamma and it's relationships.
But what happens when a burning propellant strand is contained in a pressure vessel?

The gas temperature is already heated as it pressurizes the closed chamber.
The gas temperature at 100psi pressure would be 3204K. At 1000psi it would be 3408K. I know this from running a chemical equilibrium program. Those temperatures are at combustion chamber pressures in a rocket motor.

I could simply use the ideal gas law and assume a temperature of 3400K and predict the maximum chamber pressure as based on the total mass of propellant converted into gas. I could calculate the amount of propellant to use so as to not exceed the pressure vessel rating. Or, is the temperature and pressure going to go much higher that those shown for the rocket chamber? (by integrating the totals and applying ideal gas law)

So my question is: How would you accurately predict time vs pressure and temperature for such an apparatus? (temperature is the variable I am struggling with)

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
How do you relate pressure and temperature? With adiabatic compression? This will not work for combustion, as you add additional energy and probably change the amount of gas (the number of molecules can change).
I think I would try to use energy conservation - look at the total energy before, add the energy released from combustion, solve for temperature and pressure with the gas composition afterwards.

Yes, it is an interesting problem. Since P(V^k) is constant with n being constant, I would think that this problem (having variable n and fixed V) would have P((V/n)^k) constant. The difficulty comes from the added energy from combustion as you suggest. It is as if you are injecting hot gas into a fixed volume. I need to think about this some more. Perhaps an actual experiment will get my gears turning in the right direction.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, and how it affects matter.

2. What is a propellant gas?

A propellant gas is a type of gas that is used to propel or move an object, such as in a rocket or jet engine.

3. How does thermodynamics relate to propellant gas?

Thermodynamics is important in understanding the behavior of propellant gas, as it helps determine factors such as pressure, temperature, and flow rate which can affect the performance of the propellant gas.

4. What is the ideal gas law and how is it related to propellant gas?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It is often used in the study of propellant gas to predict how changes in these parameters can affect the behavior of the gas.

5. How is the efficiency of propellant gas measured?

The efficiency of propellant gas is typically measured by the specific impulse, which is a measure of how much thrust is produced per unit of propellant mass consumed. The higher the specific impulse, the more efficient the propellant gas is in producing thrust.