Solution of polynomial equations

• Thread starter tom.stoer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reformulating a polynomial equation as two separate functions, f and g, with specific conditions on their gradients. The conversation includes a discussion on how to prove or disprove this reformulation using differentiation and constraints on the coefficients of the polynomial equation.
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
Suppose there is a set of complex variables

[tex]\{x_i,\,i=1 \ldots M;\;\;y_k,\,k=1 \ldots N\}[/tex]

and a polynomial equation

[tex]p(x_i, y_k) = 0[/tex]

Is there a way to prove or disprove for such an equation whether it can be reformulated as

[tex]f(x_i) = g(y_k) [/tex]

with two functions f and g with

[tex]\nabla_y f= 0[/tex]
[tex]\nabla_x g= 0[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey tom.stoer.

I'm not familiar with the polynomial constraint you use: can you point me to some more specific definition? (I'm sorry but I'm only familiar with a univariate polynomial).

You mean the gradient? It's only to stress that f does not depend on y1, y2, ... and g does not depend on x1, x2, ...

No sorry, I mean the p(x_i,y_i) = 0. Is this basically the product of univariate polynomials that is equal to 0?

No, its a general multivariate polynomial in xi and yi, no special construction, no special condition.

The intuition says its right, but we'll go through the formalities.

So you p(x_i,y_i) = 0 and f(xi) - g(y_j) = 0.

Now p(x_i,y_j) = f(xi) - g(yj) = 0.

You apply each individual operator once (with respect to the y's and x's respectively) and you'll get a cancellation on the RHS, but you will also get a condition on the LHS.

The LHS can be written as an expansion with all possible permutations of the x's and y's to various integer powers, and you should write the p(xi,yi) in this form with the coeffecients being variables.

When you do the differentiation on the LHS against both x and y, you should end up with a criteria for the coeffecients and which ones should be zero.

Be using both these differentiability constraints, you can prove the form of f and g since you will get a cancellation of the other when doing the derivative and then you're done.

1. What is a polynomial equation?

A polynomial equation is an algebraic equation that consists of variables raised to non-negative integer powers and coefficients, and can be written in the form of anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0 = 0, where x is the variable, an is the coefficient, and n is a non-negative integer.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial equation?

The degree of a polynomial equation is the highest power of the variable in the equation. For example, the equation 3x2 + 2x + 1 = 0 has a degree of 2.

3. How do you solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you must find the values of the variable that make the equation true. This can be done by factoring, using the quadratic formula, or by using numerical methods like Newton's method.

4. Can all polynomial equations be solved?

No, not all polynomial equations can be solved exactly. Some equations may have irrational or complex solutions, or may have no real solutions at all. In such cases, numerical methods can be used to approximate the solutions.

5. What is the importance of solving polynomial equations?

Solving polynomial equations is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. It allows us to find the roots of a function, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function and can be used in various applications. Additionally, understanding the process of solving polynomial equations can help in developing problem-solving skills and logical thinking.