Is this number countably or uncountably infinite as m approaches infinity?

• Thread starter Eval
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers various aspects of discussing the size and context of a number. The first question needs more specificity in order to provide an accurate answer. The second question asks for a comparison to other numbers. The third question highlights the importance of context when discussing numbers. The fourth question acknowledges the subjectivity of determining if a number is large or small. Finally, the last question suggests breaking down the number into smaller or simpler units in order to better understand its magnitude.
Eval
How "big" is this number?

I have had absolutely no sleep for a while, so my math brain has been failing me. Last night, I was working on a problem and I believe that one of my connections is wrong. Is this number countably infinite or uncountably infinite (as m approaches infinity):

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{m}{(\frac{m!}{n!})^{a}}[/itex]

I feel like it is countably infinite, but I am not sure.

Also, what about just simply (m!)a as m approaches infinity? If it is uncountable, that will be rather cool, too, as that is what one of my proofs hinge on.

Physics news on Phys.org

Eval said:
I have had absolutely no sleep for a while, so my math brain has been failing me. Last night, I was working on a problem and I believe that one of my connections is wrong. Is this number countably infinite or uncountably infinite (as m approaches infinity):

Also, what about just simply (m!)a as m approaches infinity? If it is uncountable, that will be rather cool, too, as that is what one of my proofs hinge on.

There seems to be a little confusion. Numbers aren't countable or uncountable. Any particular number is just a number. The adjectives "countable" and "uncountable" refer to sets of numbers. So the rational numbers are countable, and the irrational numbers are uncountable. What that means is that the entire set of rationals is a countable set; and the entire set of irrationals is an uncountable set.

Does that make sense?

Also, what is a? Is it an arbitrary real? An integer? Or what?

Eval said:

If "a" is positive the sum is infinite, but if "a" is negative that is another story, but I feel that is infinite also.

Last edited:

If a < 0, the sum converges to 1.

The series is 1 + 1/m + {1/m(m-1) + 1/m(m-1)(m-2) + ... !/m!}
The part in brackets ~< 1/m, So the limit is simply 1.

mathman said:

The part in brackets ~< 1/m, So the limit is simply 1.[/QUOTET]
Thanks

Sorry, I am still blaming my lack of sleep for me not being clear. What I mean is something more along these lines...

If I have a set that has a cardinality of (m!)a as m approaches infinity and where a is some natural number >1, is the cardinality countable or uncountable? If the set is uncountably infinite, then could I say that:

S1 has a cardinality of the sum given in the first post
S2 has a cardinality of (m!)a (with the limit as m approaches infinity)

Then would |S1|/|S2| be irrational? If so, then would this show that ζ(s) is irrational for s>1 and is a natural number?

I argue that it would be irrational since |S1| is outside the set of integers and so is |S2|, so their ratio, in terms of c/d would not be the ratio of two integers, and thus not rational.

Eval said:
Sorry, I am still blaming my lack of sleep for me not being clear. What I mean is something more along these lines...

If I have a set that has a cardinality of (m!)a as m approaches infinity and where a is some natural number >1, is the cardinality countable or uncountable? If the set is uncountably infinite, then could I say that:

S1 has a cardinality of the sum given in the first post
S2 has a cardinality of (m!)a (with the limit as m approaches infinity)

Then would |S1|/|S2| be irrational? If so, then would this show that ζ(s) is irrational for s>1 and is a natural number?

I argue that it would be irrational since |S1| is outside the set of integers and so is |S2|, so their ratio, in terms of c/d would not be the ratio of two integers, and thus not rational.
I don't think that infinity over infinity is either rational or irrational snce it is not a number.

Eval said:
If I have a set that has a cardinality of (m!)a as m approaches infinity and where a is some natural number >1, is the cardinality countable or uncountable?
If you have an infinite sequence of sets (a sequence necessarily being countably infinite), and each set is finite, then the union of the sets must be countable.

mathman said:

The part in brackets ~< 1/m, So the limit is simply 1.

I believe you have a mistake, it should be:

(m!)^a+(m!/2)^a+(m!/3!)^a+...+(m!/((m-1)!))^a+1

but as you said for a<0, all the terms vanish as m->\infty except 1.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I believe you have a mistake, it should be:

(m!)^a+(m!/2)^a+(m!/3!)^a+...+(m!/((m-1)!))^a+1

but as you said for a<0, all the terms vanish as m->\infty except 1.
Raised to the power of -1 and reading from right to left, it is the same as Mathman wrote.

1. How big is this number?

This question is a bit vague and can refer to any number. In order to answer this question, we need to specify which number we are talking about.

2. How big is this number compared to other numbers?

This question is asking about the magnitude or size of a number relative to other numbers. To answer this question, we can use a number line or compare it to other numbers using scientific notation.

3. Can you provide some context for this number?

Context is important when talking about numbers. This question is asking for more information about the number, such as what it represents or how it is being used.

4. Is this number considered large or small?

This question is subjective and depends on the context and the person's perspective. A number that may be considered large to one person may be small to another. It is important to define what is considered large or small in the given context.

5. Can you break down this number into smaller or simpler units?

In order to understand the magnitude of a number, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller or simpler units. For example, a large number can be expressed in scientific notation or a fraction to make it easier to comprehend.