Simplifying Index Notation in Vector Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (r×∇).(r×∇)=r.∇×(r×∇) and its index notation representation. The person is trying to prove it and is getting four terms which give twice the desired result. Another person points out that the only difference is the naming of the dummy-summation indices, and proves that both expressions are indeed equal. The conversation ends with gratitude for the use of the shortcut formula.
andrien
(r×∇).(r×∇)=r.∇×(r×∇)
now in index notation it is written as,
=xijxij-xijxji
but when I tried to prove it ,it just came out twice.can anyone tell how it is correct(given is the correct form).i really mean that i was getting four terms which gave twice of above after reshuffling so prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
All your formulae are correct.

The left-hand side of your first equation reads in index notation
[tex](\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \cdot (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi= \epsilon_{jkl} r_k \partial_l (\epsilon_{jmn} r_m \partial_n \phi).[/tex]
Now using
[tex]\epsilon_{jkl} \epsilon_{jmn}=\delta_{km} \delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn} \delta_{lm},[/tex]
you indeed get
[tex](\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \cdot (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi = r_{k} \partial_l(r_k \partial_l \phi)-r_k \partial_l(r_l \partial_k \phi).[/tex]

The right-hand side of your first equation is
[tex]\vec{r} \cdot [\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi] = r_j \epsilon_{jkl} \partial_k (\epsilon_{lmn} r_m \partial_n \phi).[/tex]
Again we have
[tex]\epsilon_{jkl} \epsilon_{lmn}=\epsilon_{ljk} \epsilon_{lmn}=\delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}.[/tex]
Thus we have
[tex]\vec{r} \cdot [\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi] = r_j \partial_k (r_j \partial_k \phi)-r_j \partial_k (r_k \partial_j \phi).[/tex]
This shows that indeed both expressions of your first equations are equal, because the only difference is the naming of the dummy-summation indices :-).

[tex]\epsilon_{jkl} \epsilon_{jmn}=\delta_{km} \delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn} \delta_{lm},[/tex]
I was aware of it which I have seen in butkov an year ago.but this is the first use of it.so thanks,van I think i am just becoming lazy.

What is index notation and why is it important in science?

Index notation, also known as index notation or Einstein notation, is a mathematical convention used to represent and manipulate expressions involving vectors, tensors, and matrices. It is important in science because it simplifies complex mathematical expressions and allows for easier calculation and representation of physical quantities.

How is index notation used in physics?

In physics, index notation is used to represent vector and tensor equations in a compact and general form. It is particularly useful in the fields of mechanics, electromagnetism, and relativity where there are many vector and tensor quantities involved.

What are the advantages of using index notation?

One of the main advantages of index notation is that it allows for the representation of complex equations and physical quantities in a concise and general form. It also simplifies calculations and allows for easier manipulation of equations. Additionally, index notation is a universal language used in many branches of science, making it easier to communicate and collaborate with other scientists.

What are some common mistakes made when using index notation?

One common mistake is mixing up indices, which can lead to incorrect calculations. Another mistake is forgetting to sum over repeated indices, which can result in incomplete or incorrect equations. It is important to carefully keep track of indices and their placement to ensure accurate use of index notation.

How can one improve their understanding and use of index notation?

Practice and familiarization are key to improving one's understanding and use of index notation. Working through examples and exercises can help solidify the concepts and rules of index notation. Additionally, seeking out resources and guidance from experts can also aid in improving understanding and application of index notation in scientific contexts.