Different antibiotics on Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of different antibiotics on Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria, and the possibility of extending the investigation to include mycoplasmas. The potential influence of antibiotics on mycoplasmas is mentioned, and suggestions for a statistical test to compare three groups of data are provided.
garytse86
Hi. I am doing an investigation on the effects of different antibiotics on Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria.

1) Can you say that antibiotics and bacteria form a chaotic system? Can a very small change in concentration of antiboitics, or a small variation in pH, change the diameter of killing zone greatly?

2) If I want to extend this investigation: not only testing effects of antibiotics on Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria, but also "mycoplasmas" which are neither Gram positive nor negative. Is this possible? (I do not actually have to carry this out but just need to propose what needs to be done). Before I used the Mann Whitney U Test to comparing two sets of data. But if I introduce mycoplasmas, which statistical tests are there to comparing three groups of data?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Gary :redface:

Biology news on Phys.org
garytse86 said:
1) Can you say that antibiotics and bacteria form a chaotic system? Can a very small change in concentration of antiboitics, or a small variation in pH, change the diameter of killing zone greatly?

It will depend on the antibiotics, the pH value of media and how much a small variation in pH is. for example, quinolone have a decrease activity below ph 5.0 and macrolides have a decrease acitivity just below pH 7.0. Also, the penetration by aminoglycosides inside the cell is greatly reduce at low pH.

For reference
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8404912&dopt=Abstract

garytse86 said:
2) If I want to extend this investigation: not only testing effects of antibiotics on Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria, but also "mycoplasmas" which are neither Gram positive nor negative. Is this possible? (I do not actually have to carry this out but just need to propose what needs to be done). Before I used the Mann Whitney U Test to comparing two sets of data. But if I introduce mycoplasmas, which statistical tests are there to comparing three groups of data?

first mycoplasma lack a certain feature that are present on both gram positive and negative. this will have an influence on the result depending on the mode of action of the antibiotics.

For the stat test, look at the following page to guide you
http://www.edu.rcsed.ac.uk/statisti...o help decide the statistical test to use.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1) Yes, antibiotics and bacteria can be considered a chaotic system in terms of their interactions. A small change in concentration of antibiotics or variations in pH can greatly impact the effectiveness of the antibiotics in killing the bacteria. This is because different antibiotics have different mechanisms of action and varying levels of potency against different types of bacteria. Additionally, bacteria have the ability to adapt and develop resistance to antibiotics, making the effectiveness of treatment unpredictable at times.

2) It is possible to extend the investigation to include mycoplasmas, which are neither Gram positive nor negative. To do this, you would need to obtain mycoplasma samples and perform the same experiments as you did with the Gram positive and negative bacteria. In terms of statistical analysis, you could use ANOVA (analysis of variance) to compare the data from three groups: Gram positive, Gram negative, and mycoplasmas. This test would help determine if there are significant differences in the effects of antibiotics on these three types of bacteria. Alternatively, you could use a non-parametric test such as the Kruskal-Wallis test, which does not assume normal distribution of data.

What is the difference between Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria?

Gram positive bacteria have a thick peptidoglycan layer in their cell wall, which retains the crystal violet stain used in the Gram staining method. Gram negative bacteria have a thinner peptidoglycan layer and an additional outer membrane, which does not retain the stain.

Why are different antibiotics effective against Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria?

Antibiotics target specific components of bacterial cells, such as the cell wall or protein synthesis machinery. As Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria have different cell wall structures, they are susceptible to different types of antibiotics.

What are the most common antibiotics used against Gram positive bacteria?

The most commonly used antibiotics against Gram positive bacteria include penicillin, cephalosporins, and vancomycin. These antibiotics target the peptidoglycan layer in the cell wall and disrupt cell wall synthesis, ultimately leading to bacterial cell death.

Which antibiotics are effective against Gram negative bacteria?

Antibiotics commonly used against Gram negative bacteria include beta-lactams (such as penicillins and cephalosporins), tetracyclines, and aminoglycosides. These antibiotics target different components of the bacterial cell, such as the cell membrane or protein synthesis machinery.

Why is it important to differentiate between Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria when choosing an antibiotic?

Different types of bacteria have different susceptibilities to antibiotics. Using the wrong antibiotic can lead to treatment failure and the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Therefore, it is important to identify the type of bacteria causing an infection and choose an appropriate antibiotic based on its Gram stain result.