Expected Repairs for Leased Computer: Calculating Mean and Standard Deviation

In summary, the small business is expecting to have to get their new computer repaired 3 times over the three year term of the lease. The standard deviation of the number of repairs is 13.69 and the mean number of repairs is 0.20.
mutzy188
Hi I need some help. I don't think I did any of this right.

A small business just leased a new computer and color laser printer for three years. The service contract for the computer offers unlimited repairs for a fee of $100 a year plus a $25 service charge for each repair needed. The company's research suggested that during a given year 86% of these computers needed no repairs, 9% needed to be repaired once, 4% twice, 1% three times, and none required more than three repairs.

1. Find the expected number of repairs this kind of computer is expected to need each year.

100(.86) + 125(.09) + 150(.04) + 175(.01) = 105

2. Find the standard deviation of the number of repairs each year.

.86(100-105)^2 + .09(125-105)^2 + .04(150-105)^2 + .01(175-105)^2 = 187.5
sqrt(187.5) = 13.69

3. What are the mean and standard deviation of the company's annual expense for the service contract?
I have no clue how to do this one.

4. How many times should the company expect to have to get this computer repaired over the three-year term of lease?
None?

5. What is the standard deviation of the number of repairs that may be required during the three-year lease period?
105*3 = 315

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mutzy188 said:

A small business just leased a new computer and color laser printer for three years. The service contract for the computer offers unlimited repairs for a fee of $100 a year plus a $25 service charge for each repair needed. The company's research suggested that during a given year 86% of these computers needed no repairs, 9% needed to be repaired once, 4% twice, 1% three times, and none required more than three repairs.

1. Find the expected number of repairs this kind of computer is expected to need each year.

An answer like 105 should tell you something is wrong.
Use the right information: A computer needs no repairs with a probability of 86%. 1 repair with a prob. of 9%, 2 repairs with 4% and three with 1%.
Find the expectation [itex]P(X)[/itex] from this.

1. Find the expectation of the number of repairs squared: [itex]P(X^2)[/itex].
Then use: [itex]\sigma_X^2=P(X^2)-P(X)^2[/itex]

mutzy188 said:

E(X) = μ = (0.86)*(0) + (0.09)*(1) + (0.04)*(2) + (0.01)*(3) = 0.20

2. Find the standard deviation of the number of repairs each year.
.86(100-105)^2 + .09(125-105)^2 + .04(150-105)^2 + .01(175-105)^2 = 187.5
sqrt(187.5) = 13.69
{Variance of X} = σ^2 = E{X^2} - E^2{X}

3. What are the mean and standard deviation of the company's annual expense for the service contract?
I have no clue how to do this one.
{Mean of X} = E{X} = μ
{Variance of X} = E{X^2} - E^2{X} = σ^2
{Yearly Cost} = C = 100 + 25*X
E{C} = E{100 + 25*X} = E{100} + E{25*X} = 100 + 25*E{X} =
= 100 + 25*μ
E{C^2} - E^2{C} = {calculate & collect terms} = (25^2)*σ^2

4. How many times should the company expect to have to get this computer repaired over the three-year term of lease?
None?
{Mean of X} = E{X} = μ
E{X1 + X2 + X3} = E{X1} + E{X2} + E{X3} = 3*μ

5. What is the standard deviation of the number of repairs that may be required during the three-year lease period?
105*3 = 315
{Variance of X} = E{X^2} - E^2{X} = σ^2
{Variance of (X1 + X2 + X3)} =
= E{(X1 + X2 + X3)^2} - E^2{(X1 + X2 + X3)} =
= {calculate & collect terms} = 9*σ^2

Thanks
HINTS GIVEN ABOVE IN RED.
~~

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of calculating the mean and standard deviation for expected repairs on a leased computer?

The mean and standard deviation are statistical measures used to understand the average and variability of a data set. In this case, calculating the mean and standard deviation for expected repairs on a leased computer can help determine the typical cost of repairs and the likelihood of experiencing different repair costs.

2. How do you calculate the mean and standard deviation for expected repairs on a leased computer?

To calculate the mean, you add up all the expected repair costs and divide by the number of data points. To calculate the standard deviation, you first find the difference between each data point and the mean, square each difference, add them all together, divide by the number of data points, and then take the square root of the result.

3. Why is it important to know the expected repairs for a leased computer?

Knowing the expected repairs can help budget for potential costs and make informed decisions when choosing a lease agreement. It can also help identify any potential issues with the leased computer and plan for necessary repairs.

4. Can the mean and standard deviation change over time for expected repairs on a leased computer?

Yes, the mean and standard deviation can change over time as new repair costs are added to the data set. It is important to regularly update and recalculate these values to accurately reflect the current expected repairs for the leased computer.

5. How can the mean and standard deviation for expected repairs on a leased computer be used to make predictions?

The mean and standard deviation can be used to create a normal distribution curve, which can be used to make predictions about the likelihood of experiencing different repair costs. This information can also be used to assess the risk and potential costs associated with leasing a computer.