Solution for the Differential Equation

In summary, the function y = -(cos x) ln (sec x + tan x) is an explicit solution of the differential equation y'' + y = tan x, and the interval of definition can be assumed to be any appropriate interval that avoids singular points. The second order derivative can be computed by differentiating the function, and the derivative of ln (sec x + tan x) is simply sec x.
nados29
Hi,
I have a problem that I can't solve. Please help me.

Here is it:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verify that the function y = -(cos x) ln (sec x + tan x) is an explicit solution of the differential equation y'' + y = tan x. Assume an appropriate interval I of definition.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, I don't understand the meaning of "Assume an appropriate interval I of definition".

Second, I tried to differnetiate y = -(cos x) ln (sec x + tan x) twice in order to get y'' and replace it in the function but I couldn't. It's really difficult and terribly long. I think I'm doing it in the wrong way. Please help me in that.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The interval part is put there for you not,as not to worry about singularity points (and points in which the argument of the natural logarithm is negative) and simply do what you already did,viz.differentiate.So do not worry.Simply compute the second order derivative,even if ugly...

Daniel.

The derivative of ln (sec + tan) is just sec.

1. What is a solution for a differential equation?

A solution for a differential equation is a mathematical function that satisfies the equation when substituted into it. It represents the relationship between the independent and dependent variables in the equation.

2. How is a solution for a differential equation typically represented?

A solution for a differential equation is typically represented as a graph or a formula that expresses the relationship between the variables. It can also be represented as a table of values or a series of points.

3. What is the difference between a general and a particular solution for a differential equation?

A general solution for a differential equation includes all possible solutions that satisfy the equation, while a particular solution is a specific solution that is obtained by applying additional constraints or initial conditions.

4. How do you verify if a given function is a solution for a differential equation?

To verify if a given function is a solution for a differential equation, you can substitute the function into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. Additionally, you can also check if the function satisfies any initial conditions or constraints given in the problem.

5. Can a differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple solutions. In fact, for most differential equations, there are infinitely many possible solutions. However, a particular solution can be determined by applying additional constraints or initial conditions given in the problem.