Optimizing Energy Efficiency in a Terraced House: Data Collection and Analysis

• Thread starter eddiej90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Home
In summary, optimizing energy efficiency in a terraced house involves collecting and analyzing data to determine the most effective ways to reduce energy consumption. This can include monitoring energy usage, identifying areas for improvement such as insulation and lighting, and implementing energy-saving measures. By utilizing data-driven approaches, homeowners can make informed decisions to reduce their energy costs and environmental impact.
eddiej90
I am planning on calculating the heat loss and heat gain of a terraced house.

The data I have collected so far are the footprints of the house, with the size of windows and walls, roof and floors and the materials of which these are made. I know the rear of the house faces S-SE and its approximate location in Sheffield.

I would like to represent the heat loss and heat gain of the house in a spreadsheet however I am quite a novice when it comes to Excel.

I would also like to collect some data of outside temperature, wind direction and speed, and sun intensity over a year long period. I would ideally like this data over hourly intervals as the houses heating is controlled by a varying thermostat throughout the day and night.

Any suggestions as to where I can find this data (preferrably at no cost) and any hints and tips you can offer me? Anything will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
The data is the easy part. The government publishes typical hourly weather data including solar insolation information for lots of locations. The data is available for download here: http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/1991-2005/tmy3/

Calculating the heat gain/loss of a house is pretty difficult with a spreadsheet. Typically, a specially designed piece of software is used. One example with a partially functional demo: http://www.elitesoft.com/web/homepage/elite_demonstration_limits.html#chvacw

An alternative:

Electric utilities in many US states offer energy audits. An audit can help you determine where heat loss/gain occurs. In New Mexico PNM offers these audits. The data provided gives you estimated R values for your windows, doors, etc. of your house. And looks for "leaky" places and points them out.

There is a consumer hit list generated -- things to do to improve problem areas, based on data from the audit. Generally most audits turn up the same sorts of problems. One tech told me he found a wall in a newer home that had no insulation, no Tyvek, nothing but sheathing and some paneling -- it kind of glowed in infared on a cold day. I do not know if PNM still uses the infared camera or not.

This audit feature may be available for you to use.

Thanks for your help but I should probably have mentioned I'm in the UK. Would help if we didnt both have a city named Sheffield. Any ideas on where to get the data for the UK?

Oops, no sorry -- I can try some googling for you, but that's about all I can do.

The best website iv found is http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ISOUTHYO14&day=22&year=2012&month=11&graphspan=year
Its the best one iv found so far and even shows most of the data i need over a daily period for a year :) although to see the hourly data i need to click on each individual day. It will take me forever to collect the data for all 365 days, copying and pasting into excel. Is there a way I can import all the data without having to click on every single link?

eddiej90 said:
I am planning on calculating the heat loss and heat gain of a terraced house.
its approximate location in Sheffield.

Typical Yorkshireman. Just put another quid in the meter.

1. Why is heat loss/gain important to consider in a home?

Heat loss/gain is important to consider in a home because it directly affects the comfort and energy efficiency of the space. If a home experiences significant heat loss, it can result in higher energy bills and discomfort during colder months. On the other hand, excessive heat gain can also lead to discomfort and higher energy costs for cooling the home.

2. What factors contribute to heat loss/gain within a home?

Factors that contribute to heat loss/gain within a home include insulation, air leakage, ventilation, and the type of building materials used. Insufficient insulation and air leakage can allow heat to escape or enter the home, while lack of ventilation can lead to excess humidity and heat buildup. The type of building materials used, such as windows and doors, can also impact the amount of heat that is lost or gained.

3. How can I determine the amount of heat loss/gain in my home?

The amount of heat loss/gain in a home can be determined through a heat loss/gain calculation, which takes into account factors such as the size and layout of the home, insulation levels, and climate. This calculation can be done by a professional energy auditor or through online calculators provided by energy companies or government agencies.

4. What are some ways to reduce heat loss/gain in a home?

There are several ways to reduce heat loss/gain in a home, including adding insulation, sealing air leaks, upgrading to energy-efficient windows and doors, and using shading devices or landscaping to block excess sunlight. It is also important to regularly maintain heating and cooling systems to ensure they are running efficiently.

5. How can I improve the energy efficiency of my home?

In addition to reducing heat loss/gain, there are other ways to improve the overall energy efficiency of a home. These include using energy-efficient appliances and lighting, turning off electronics and lights when not in use, and implementing energy-saving habits such as adjusting the thermostat when away from home. It is also beneficial to regularly check and replace air filters, and consider investing in renewable energy sources like solar panels.