The model of electric flux in solids

In summary: This means that the conductivity/resistance is equal on the surface and in any point in the cross section (in case of perfect homogenic metal structure).
dkastz
hi there!

I have a bit stupid question:

Imagine a solid metal cylinder. We put a . Explain to me please the exact model of the direct current electric flux of the particles. Is there a "skin effect" when a direct current is in action ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
dkastz said:
hi there!

I have a bit stupid question:

Imagine a solid metal cylinder. We put a . Explain to me please the exact model of the direct current electric flux of the particles. Is there a "skin effect" when a direct current is in action ?

You did not finish the sentence.

Is Direct Current means constant non varying current? If so, there is no skin effect to talk about, skin effect only happen with varying current and rather high frequency( no as high as people think!).

There is no electric field inside a good conductor like metal if you assume it's a perfect conductor. Any electric field developed inside the metal WILL cause the electrons to move in opposite direction to neutralize the field. That's the reason there is no electric field in a perfect conductor.

In real life, there is a very very ( very!) small electric field if you drive a current through as it's not a perfect conductor, a little voltage developed across the metal due to the resistance.

grr i just saw that i missed the sentence!

Yes. you`re right - Direct Current means constant non varying current. I am wondering what happens inside the cylinder - where do electrons pass - all over the cross section or just at the surface. For the example the two points of current are the centers of the circular faces of the cylinder. What happens if i vary the diameter of the cylinder ?

If it is direct non varying current, the current density in the middle is the same as close to the surface. It is all over the cross section of the cylinder. Skin effect only applies to varying current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

Last edited:
deos this mean that in direct, non varying current, the conductivity/resistance is equal on the surface and in any point in the cross section (in case of perfect homogenic metal structure) ?

1. What is the model of electric flux in solids?

The model of electric flux in solids is a theoretical framework used to understand and analyze the movement of electric charges inside solid materials. It is based on the principles of electromagnetism and takes into account the properties of the material, such as its conductivity and resistivity, to determine how electric charges flow through the solid.

2. How does the model of electric flux in solids differ from the model of electric flux in fluids?

The main difference between the two models is the physical state of the material. In the model of electric flux in solids, the material is in a solid state, while in the model of electric flux in fluids, the material is in a liquid or gas state. This difference affects the behavior of electric charges and the way they move within the material.

3. What factors affect the electric flux in solids?

The electric flux in solids is affected by several factors, including the properties of the material, such as its conductivity and resistivity, as well as the presence of any external electric fields. The temperature and pressure of the solid can also influence the movement of electric charges.

4. How is the model of electric flux in solids used in practical applications?

The model of electric flux in solids is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and circuits, the development of materials for electrical insulation, and the analysis of the behavior of semiconductors. It is also used in the study of materials for renewable energy technologies, such as solar cells and batteries.

5. What are the limitations of the model of electric flux in solids?

Like any scientific model, the model of electric flux in solids has its limitations. It assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as impurities or defects in the material. It also does not consider the effects of quantum mechanics, which become more significant at the nanoscale. Additionally, the model may not accurately predict the behavior of materials under extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or pressures.