Example of a non-Gaussian stochastic process?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a stochastic process ##X(t)##, including its average value and correlation function. The probability distribution of a Brownian particle in a harmonic potential is also mentioned, which can be described by ##X## and has a Gaussian distribution. The conversation then explores whether there are other processes with the same properties but different distributions. It is determined that without additional information, the MGF or probability distribution cannot be uniquely determined.
Jano L.
Gold Member
Consider stochastic process ##X(t)## with properties

$$
\langle X(t) \rangle = 0,
$$

$$
\langle X(t) X(t-\tau) \rangle = C_0e^{-|\tau|/\tau_c}.
$$

For example, the position of a Brownian particle in harmonic potential can be described by ##X##. In that case, the probability distribution will be Gaussian, i.e.

$$
\frac{dp}{dX} (X) = Ae^{-\frac{|X^2|}{2\sigma^2}}
$$

with some ##A, \sigma##.

Do you know some example of a stochastic process ##X## with the above two properties (average value and correlation function) which however does not have Gaussian probability distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Jano L.

If the solution to this process implies a unique form for the Moment Generating Function then the answer to your question is no since a particular MGF implies a unique form of a distribution.

Well, I do not know the MGF for that process. I think I cannot determine it just from those two properties.

I just know those two averages. I think there are different processes than Gaussian with the above properties, so I was wondering whether there is some good example...

If you can show some kind of uniqueness for MGF, characteristic function, or any other attribute that unique describes a distribution (or family of distributions) then you can show it is unique.

Can you relate p or its derivative to one of the above attributes?

No, I do not think so. I think the properties I know (see OP) do not define the MGF or probability distribution completely. I was just wondering about some concrete example of such process, which would have those two properties from OP but be non-Gaussian.

What is a non-Gaussian stochastic process?

A non-Gaussian stochastic process is a type of random process where the probability distribution of its values is not Gaussian, meaning it does not follow a bell curve. This type of process is characterized by having more extreme or rare events occur more frequently than in a Gaussian process.

What are some examples of non-Gaussian stochastic processes?

Examples of non-Gaussian stochastic processes include the Poisson process, the Levy process, and the Cauchy process. These processes have different probability distributions and can exhibit behaviors such as heavy tails, skewness, and kurtosis.

How are non-Gaussian stochastic processes different from Gaussian processes?

The main difference between non-Gaussian and Gaussian stochastic processes is in their probability distributions. Non-Gaussian processes have more extreme or rare events occur more frequently, while Gaussian processes follow a bell curve distribution with most values falling near the mean.

What is the importance of studying non-Gaussian stochastic processes?

Studying non-Gaussian stochastic processes is important because many real-world phenomena, such as financial markets, weather patterns, and biological systems, do not follow a Gaussian distribution. Understanding and modeling these processes can help us make more accurate predictions and decisions.

How are non-Gaussian stochastic processes used in scientific research?

Non-Gaussian stochastic processes are used in a wide range of scientific research, including economics, physics, biology, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze complex systems where random events and non-linear behaviors are present. They can also be used to test and validate theories and models in various fields.