Came across an Analysis post on this board while searching the net

In summary, this person suggests reading "Rigorous Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and "Real Analysis" by Royden, and then specializing.
press
Hi All,

I was searching for Analysis course that typically follows Spivak's Calculus.

While searching the Net came across this post below and have couple questions if you don't mind:

mathwonk said:
In the old days, the progression was roughly: rigorous one variable (Spivak) calculus, Abstract algebra (Birkhoff and Maclane), rigorous advanced calculus (Loomis and Sternberg), introductory real and complex analysis via metric spaces as in Mackey's complex analysis book, general analysis as in Royden, (big) Rudin, or Halmos and Ahlfors, algebra as in Lang, and algebraic topology as in Spanier. Then you specialize.

In particular Spivak was written for a first semester freshman book.

My questions:

1. "Rigorous Advanced Calculus (Loomis and Sternberg)". Is that a single book or two different books by different authors? Couldnt find it on Amazon, but found Advanced Calculus by Loomis. What is the relation of the second book to the suggested one? Are they interchangeable? If not, what's the best alternative?

2. "introductory real and complex analysis via metric spaces as in Mackey's complex analysis book". I couldn't find it anywhere. What would be the best alternative?

3. "general analysis as in Royden". Found Real Analysis (4th Edition) by
Halsey Royden, Patrick Fitzpatrick
. Are these the same books? Or are they interchangeable? If not, what would be the modern alternative to the suggested text?

4. "(big) Rudin, or Halmos and Ahlfors". I apologize for my ignorance, but could someone, please, elaborate on this one? Couldnt locate the book written by both Halmos and Ahlfors together.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
press said:
1. "Rigorous Advanced Calculus (Loomis and Sternberg)". Is that a single book or two different books by different authors? Couldnt find it on Amazon, but found https://www.amazon.com/dp/0867201223/?tag=pfamazon01-20. What is the relation of the second book to the suggested one? Are they interchangeable? If not, what's the best alternative?
Yes, the book at your link is the right one. The title is Advanced Calculus, and it is a (very) rigorous book. It is out of print, and I see that the used copies on Amazon are obscenely priced. Fortunately, Sternberg has made it available for free in PDF form at his web site: http://www.math.harvard.edu/~shlomo/

3. "general analysis as in Royden". Found https://www.amazon.com/dp/013143747X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Real Analysis (4th Edition) by
Halsey Royden, Patrick Fitzpatrick[/url]. Are these the same books? Or are they interchangeable? If not, what would be the modern alternative to the suggested text?
Yes, that's the right book. The earlier editions had Royden as the sole author, but he died in the 1990s. The 4th edition was updated by another author, Fitzpatrick. Be careful about the new edition: there are people complaining even in the past few days that the text contains Latex errors:

This book is clearly damaged. The publisher is selling copies of the book that cannot be used. References to equations, theorems, references, are often numbered with two question marks (??) rather than giving the correct number. This is an elementary error. The book was typeset in Latex, and it wasn't compiled correctly. Most Latex users are familiar with this error, and know how to fix it. Apparently, this publisher is not.

4. "(big) Rudin, or Halmos and Ahlfors". I apologize for my ignorance, but could someone, please, elaborate on this one? Couldnt locate the book written by both Halmos and Ahlfors together.

Thank You.
Big Rudin: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070542341/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Halmos: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387900888/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Ahlfors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070006571/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Big Rudin covers both real and complex analysis. Halmos is real analysis, Ahlfors is complex analysis. So mathwonk presumably meant, get either Big Rudin, or get both Halmos and Ahlfors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome! I appreciate you took your time to clarify all this. Thank You, Jbunniii.

:cool:

1. What is an analysis post?

An analysis post is a type of online forum post where someone shares their analysis or interpretation of a particular topic or issue. It often includes evidence, data, and insights to support their perspective.

2. How did I come across this analysis post?

You most likely came across this analysis post while searching the internet for information on a specific topic. It may have appeared in your search results or on a forum or discussion board related to the topic you were searching for.

3. What can I expect to find in an analysis post?

In an analysis post, you can expect to find a detailed examination of a specific topic or issue. This may include statistics, evidence, personal opinions, and insights from the author. The purpose of an analysis post is to provide a deeper understanding and perspective on a particular subject.

4. How can I use an analysis post for my research?

An analysis post can be a valuable resource for research. It can provide different perspectives and insights on a topic, as well as potential sources for further research. However, it's important to critically evaluate the information presented in the analysis post and consider the credibility of the author.

5. Can I leave comments or engage in discussion on an analysis post?

Yes, most analysis posts are open for comments and discussion. This can be a great way to engage with the author and other readers, share your own thoughts and insights, and ask questions for further clarification. However, be respectful and avoid personal attacks or offensive language in your comments.