Academic Papers for Undergrads

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of transitioning from classroom learning to reading academic papers in physics. The speaker is looking for articles that are accessible to students with a basic understanding of mechanics and E&M. Several resources were suggested, including the American Journal of Physics, as well as specific articles that are more readable and understandable. The conversation also mentioned a book that provides interesting and engaging entry questions with associated journal articles.
DrewD
The hardest part about an education in physics (in my opinion which is admittedly underdeveloped) is changing from classroom learning to research and reading academic papers. The SPS at my school is trying to put together some material to introduce undergrads to academic papers. I am hoping to find a few articles that might be read and understood by a student with little more than upper level Mechanics and E&M classes. It doesn't have to be easy, but something that isn't soul crushing for a young student that feels like they are starting to understand physics.

In my experience, I have not found any... but I have not read many papers. Everything that I have read requires a fair amount of specialized background. If anyone has some papers that they know about that are particularly easy to read or are based on relatively simple physics, please let me know. I do have access to most journals.

Science news on Phys.org
I took a brief look at that earlier today. I'll probably find more of what I'm looking for in there. Thanks.

This sounds like a great idea. I am still undergoing "shock-therapy" with papers for my research project, and being a senior makes it no less daunting sometimes.

I think this has been the most "readable" paper I've come across, probably 80% is understandable to anyone who's done QM:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1207.3123.pdf

and for people who've taken an introductory astrophysics course that covers stellar structure & evolution (polytropic model etc.), this looked pretty accessible to me:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.5965

I've always heard that some of Einstein's first papers on SR are quite readable. I've never read them before, so I can't corroborate this. But it might be worth a try.

You might try:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471762733/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Almost every entry question has one or more journal articles associated with it. I used it to introduce my high school students to academic articles. The entry questions are all very interesting and engaging. Most are not technical, but more of the American Journal of Physics style. Students were surprised at what the articles are like.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are academic papers for undergrads?

Academic papers for undergrads are written assignments that undergraduate students are required to complete as part of their coursework. These papers are typically research-based and require students to critically analyze and present information related to a specific topic.

2. How are academic papers for undergrads different from other types of papers?

Academic papers for undergrads are different from other types of papers in several ways. They are typically longer and more in-depth, require extensive research and citations, and follow a specific formatting style such as MLA or APA. These papers also require a higher level of critical thinking and analysis compared to other types of papers.

3. What are the common types of academic papers for undergrads?

Some common types of academic papers for undergrads include research papers, essays, case studies, literature reviews, and lab reports. The type of paper required may vary depending on the subject and course.

4. How do I choose a topic for my academic paper?

Choosing a topic for your academic paper can be a challenging task. It is important to select a topic that is relevant, interesting, and manageable. You can start by brainstorming ideas, researching current trends and issues in your field of study, and consulting with your instructor for suggestions.

5. What is the importance of academic papers for undergrads?

Academic papers for undergrads serve several important purposes. They allow students to demonstrate their understanding and mastery of course material, improve critical thinking and research skills, and prepare for future academic and professional endeavors. These papers also contribute to the overall assessment and grading of a student's performance in a course.